Concerns with First Job

man...tough spot. I don't envy you. 

Life is too short to keep a job that makes you miserable. You have put yourself at risk by documenting things that you don't understand even if your intent was good. The fact that such behavior is not only condone but encouraged should be a huge red flag. You are in legal jeopardy. Your mental and emotional health are in jeopardy.

You need to keep the lights on while you look but looking is what you should be doing. As soon as you have some place to go...be gone. As for serving your notice or not.... crap shoot. It is unlikely they will do anything about it and there is a good argument they failed to keep their side of the deal. I don't think anyone can give you great advice in that regard.

Find a place to go...and go.

As for the VA..it isn't for everyone but I have known lots of people over the years who loved it so I'd be inclined to see for myself if I were you.

DO NOT rely on the VA coming through with an offer.... they are historically slow

I have tried for almost 17 years (Yup YEARS) to get hired

they offer a 50% pay cut

stay where you are at.... so much of the time I think new grads are overwhelmed and unable to see the positives of a position.  Branch out a little bit - see some other patients, do it on your own, wander around, ask questions.

NEVER change you notes based on someone telling you something

NEVER NEVER NEVER put legal words in you notes that you do not understand - EVER - you will be burned, hung out to dry, and eaten alive for this.  This is a tough lesson, but it is YOUR note and no one elses - be kind to your attending - he or she can sink you and the way of the world they are higher on the food chain... accept it, defer to them on medical decisions you disagree with (this can come in handy sometimes when you play it right) Document that you consulted with your doc and they wanted to do XYZ.  If anyone besides your doc tells you alter, edit or change you note - politely answer "no thank you"    I really mean it simply say that even it does not make sense in the conversation.  You are not to be bullied or influenced.  Period.

So hang out, collect a pay check, get to a year of work, still do the VA application process, hope you get that and you can simply move on painlessly - BUT DO NOT quit with out something lined up.  Meaning sign contract that outlines start date and pay irrelevant to credentialing process.  

Do you have your X number?  Ask to get sent to a CME to get it - it directly applies to your field, and gets you 3 days out, and a valuable knowledge base and an X number.  go to CME, call in sick, take your vacation, show up and leave on time, read a lot on shift.... you get the idea.  create your own realm of happiness while you look for something else.

Archived