Is PA worth it?

Hi All, 

I know this is going to have to be a personal decision, but just looking for input/experience from those who have done it... I am currently a paramedic and full-time  paramedic instructor. I spent most of my career on a busy 911-only, fire-based ambulance. about 5 years ago I transitioned to teaching full-time. I still work part-time as a paramedic (2-4 24s/month). I always thought i wanted to become a PA, but in the mean time my career has progressed to the point where I don't know if it makes much sense for me. Here is my current situation:

•  I have a BS (non-science) with a 3.7 GPA. I have a couple of science pre-reqs to complete (<10 cr) 
  • I make a pretty decent living considering the field I am in (100K/year teaching + another 20-30K on the ambulance) 
  • I am in my mid-30s and I have a young family
  • The biggest reason I keep considering it it because I miss the medicine... I often dream about going back on an ambo FT  but the money just isn't there (paramedics around here make 60-80K)

PA's -  Is the job as fulfilling as you though it would be? What would you do in my shoes? Would you have done anything different in your own path to PA?

I'm not a PA yet (will start school in May), but I am pursuing the PA profession bc I want to learn medicine and science more in depth. I worked as a full-time paramedic for 1.5 years and often times I was A) curious what the next steps in treatment are after EMS B) what their diagnoses were and C) could I have done more in my capacity to reduce their ailment. I am young and I learned a lot, both in knowledge and practice, at the back of the ambulance but I wanted more. To do more and to know more. I liked being a paramedic but at the end of the day, I wanted a larger scope of practice. I bet you can always get fulfillment and excitement (maybe even more) in the ED or ICU as a PA just like you'd get when you're getting almost, if not, immediate results at the back of the ambulance. If anything, you can still work as a per diem medic in the future if you continue to recertify. Just my two cents! 🙂

I'm in a similar situation but the reverse. I work full time at the Fire Dept and teach part time. I made 100k last year, but I hustled for it. I was working 70 hours a week and to be honest I don't really love the Fire side of it. My final decision maker for trying to go PA was all of the different specialties. I figure I can find some form of Medicine that I truly enjoy. Anyways, just my two cents...

Medic in early-ish thirties. Not a fan of formal education settings such as teaching courses. Prefer clinical precepting. So for me, the pay isn’t there and my declining sense of professional satisfaction means I need to change direction. PA is a great move for more money and better lifestyle. 

If you miss the medicine side of it, maybe you should consider PA. But also consider this: PA school costs between $60k-$105k (usually on the higher end), and most new-grad PAs come out making $90k-$105k. Your salary will most likely not be your current salary for the first few years and you'll have to pay off a huge loan. You'll probably start questioning if it was worth it then. Some PAs do make $130k+, but the more common salary is $100k-$120k. It depends on what the average salary is for PAs in your state and the COL. Financially, it doesn't make sense to go to PA school. This will ultimately have to be a personal decision

Archived