Hello fellow colleagues! I am a new grad PA and I need your help. I got a job offer at an urgent care but I'm unsure if I want to accept it. I am in SoCal. 

2 weeks training.  The UC sees 20-30 patients at one location while 35-50 at another.  

Base pay: 55+ (no bonuses)

malpractice with tail

NO CME and  PTO

Have yet to talk about health insurance and retirement. 

It's 1099 NOT W-2

That's horrible.

If you're not W2, you're not an employee (unless they have a weird set up).  Means you pay all the taxes.

1099 likely means NO benefits or insurance.  1099 is usually considered an independent contractor.

You have a LOT of clarification to do but even if it all landed in your favor, 55/hr is not good for UC, especially in a high COL area.

35 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

That's horrible.

If you're not W2, you're not an employee (unless they have a weird set up).  Means you pay all the taxes.

1099 likely means NO benefits or insurance.  1099 is usually considered an independent contractor.

You have a LOT of clarification to do but even if it all landed in your favor, 55/hr is not good for UC, especially in a high COL area.

Hi MT2PA, thank you for your opinion. I felt it was horrible offer too esp with the 1099 but wanted some second opinions. I'm going to try to negotiate. I knoq 55/hr is not great for UC but as a new grad i thought it was a okay if it was W-2 anyway.

Horrible offer. You can always negotiate however in this case it is unlikely you would be able to achieve anything decent enough to accept.

Keep pounding the pavement for jobs, there are much better offers out there.

23 hours ago, ChompPaChewyChomp said:

Horrible offer. You can always negotiate however in this case it is unlikely you would be able to achieve anything decent enough to accept.

Keep pounding the pavement for jobs, there are much better offers out there.

I tried to negotiate and it was barely better. 

19 minutes ago, funinthesun said:

I tried to negotiate and it was barely better. 

I've been in this situation a handful of times as a new grad. It sucks especially when you have a specific specialty or location in mind. Just think of each interview and negotiation as an experience that will benefit you in your future hiring.

It takes quite a bit of perseverance and luck to land the "ideal" job as a new grad. Keep looking, there are always new opportunities opening up. In the end you'll be happy you didn't settle for less than your worth.

Edited by ChompPaChewyChomp

Just as the others stated above, this is a horrible offer. Do not accept it. $55/hour for an urgent care is low. No CME or PTO? Those should be a given. Apply elsewhere. You can find a much better offer

On 3/15/2019 at 5:45 AM, Potatolife said:

Just as the others stated above, this is a horrible offer. Do not accept it. $55/hour for an urgent care is low. No CME or PTO? Those should be a given. Apply elsewhere. You can find a much better offer

Thank you for your advice! I decided not to take the job and will be negotiating another contract at another practice. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I'm glad you didn't take it....first off Urgent Care, especially if solo coverage at the clinic,  is not a great place for a new grad. Everyone already told you the other problems with the offer....NO CME or PTO and 1099...they want you to make them money until your soul is crushed and then get someone else to abuse and take advantage of...and in a very high COL area to boot !! The last UC job I turned down in teh Austin area was $62 an hour with bonus based on the clinic not my own productivity , full benefits. The one that I will be working at PRN is $60 and hour, full benefits if full time and has a bonus structure that should easily get my compensation over $70 an hour, and I still get it if PRN. Central Texas, much lower COL and no state tax. 

I still stand by my first statement however,  I would not have wanted to work UC as my first job out of school... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By monae622
      Hey everyone!! 
      Hoping to get some insight on my offer for a position at a Level II trauma center in SoCal. I worked with this group of surgeons as a student so I know it would be an excellent learning environment and tons of good exposure. My time will be split weekly, working in trauma + gen surgery one week and strictly in ICU the next. Training will include running traumas, first assist, various procedures, ICU and vent management, etc. No surgery residents. They currently have 3 NPs and 1 PA and are looking to expand. 
      Base salary at $110k.
      Hours/call: 40hr/week, leaving promptly at end of shift. No overnight shifts as new grad until myself and SP are comfortable. Contract states that call will be paid "standard on call fees" but does not state exact amount. They did stress that being on call is not likely, esp as a new grad.
      Benefits: Health insurance, they pay 90% of standard costs. Have to pay for my own dental and vision. ( is this normal?) Malpractice insurance covered- will be sure to ask about tail coverage. Not eligible for 401k plan until 1 full year of employment!! Seems a little odd to me, thoughts? 
      PTO: "employee shall accrue 0.05 hours of PTO for every 1 hour of work performed" which if my math is correct comes out to about 10 days of PTO -_- hoping this is a typo because that's extremely low. The APPs currently work 4 10s a week but will likely move to 3 12s as more APPs are hired so I am not sure how this affects the amount of PTO. I am thinking of asking for 4 weeks PTO to include vacation, sick and CME days. 
      CME: $1500, does not state specific number of days off 
      Overall, I am really happy with the offer as a trauma position has been my dream for a long time! Not so happy with the PTO, but believe they will be willing to work with me! I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
    • By MSPAC
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to get thoughts on what I should counter for a non-benefited W2 position in retail medicine. 
      A little background: I'm young in my PA career and have been in rural family medicine for 1.5 years. I've been seeking per diem positions for a while now (I'm single with no kids in a VERY small town and I'm starting to get cabin fever LOL) and was finally offered one at a nearby hospital that has these types of clinics. These are the same ones you would find at a pharmacy with a very limited list of conditions that patients can come in for e.g. URIs, UTIs, Imms. The patients make the appts at least 1 day ahead of time so there are no walk-ins and the schedule is scrubbed by the MA and by provider to do the best possible in making sure more complex cases go to their urgent care or ER. So, compared to me following chronic conditions and multiple co-morbidities at my FT job, I imagined that this would be relatively easy peasy. 
      The job:
      Weekends 8AM-8PM with a one hour paid lunch. No benefits (NBD because my FT job has excellent bennies) Patients are scheduled on 20 minute slots Work with one MA who will work the front and back office Salaried. About $53.40 per hour Hospital was bought a few years ago by a bigger entity located in 3 states. I was told they are planning to get about 50 more clinics instituted across those areas in the next few years. I mention this because on the phone interview the recruiter said the salary was set across the organization. So I'm a little hesitant to ask for more but the practice manager on the in-person interview verbalized to me how badly they need providers.
      I think I will be asking for more (worse they could do is say no, right?) but what would be a fair counter offer? As a comparison, I make significantly more than this at my FT job but that's because of my bonuses. This is in the PNW with low COL.
      Thank you!
    • By heisman1979
      I am currently still in my clinical year--I have 2 rotations still left to complete. This is the second job offer I've received. My first offer was from a local ED, which I declined because 1. It was my first offer, and from this forum I've learned that you probably shouldn't just jump on the first offer that you see 2. Before PA school, I worked as an ED tech working the 1400-0230 shift--and back then it was just my wife and I, and since then we've added 2 little girls to our family--and I just don't think I want to take on the ED hours, stress, etc 3. I ran my offer by a few different PAs that I know (PA school faculty and practicing PAs), and they were less than impressed with the offer ($115k starting, but didn't increase yearly as much as it probably should have; PTO was minimal; etc.) 4. In hindsight, I think I made the right decision.
      12 hour shifts, 14 total shifts per month.
      This position is an urgent care where I'll be "training" with an MD or experienced APP for 60 days at a monthly pay of $6834 (would be salary of $82k--$40.67/hr). After this time, I'll move to my regular pay of $59.52/hr, $119,992/year.
      3 tier PA job ladder--starting at PA1 (years 0-3), then move to PA2 (years 4-7), then senior PA (years 8+). They haven't said what the pay scales will be yet for PA2, senior PA. I told them I will not be signing until I know what that scale looks like with exact figures. They agreed that they would have that information before I sign.
      License reimbursement of $1170
      $1500/year CME
      UpToDate annual subscription--approx. $500
      Benefits eligible 1st of the month following 60 days of employment--Is this normal??
      Non-compete clause--they haven't stated the exact details. I will get this information before I sign.
      401K plan--have to wait 1 year to receive a match, but after that year I am 100% vested. After 1 year of employment they will match 100% up to 4%, then 50% of the next 3%.
      PTO accrual: 2 weeks in the first year, then increases incrementally yearly after that. They haven't stated exactly what it will incrementally increase to yet though. Again, will not sign until these numbers are firm and included in the offer.

Thoughts?? Initially, I asked for $64/hr, which breaks down to $129, 024/year. I am thinking I want to counter with $61/hr--only a difference of $2984 over the course of a year (extra $248/month--that's a good chunk of our childcare).

In any case, let me know honest thoughts. Anything that stands out as concerning? Thanks Forum! I've been reading other's post their contract offers, and have been waiting for my opportunity to post!

• By Cup
      This is an 100% outpatient practice. They have multiple locations but I'll be working between two clinics in a  major city with high COL. I interviewed with the director of Human Resources and I'm scheduled tomorrow for a tour of one of the clinics that I'll be assigned to. 40 hours per week, Mon-Friday (No weekends, no on-call) $100,000 salary Medical, Dental & Vision 401K* 6 Holidays 5 sick days with accrual to up to 2 weeks the first 2 years Reimbursement for DEA & State License renewal fees, not initial Malpractice* 3 CME days annually $500 CME annually 6 month training period; there will always be 2-3 doctors/NPs/PAs on-site. 18-20 patients per day (They assign 15 minute blocks for Follow Ups and 45 minutes blocks for New Consults) *I'm not sure whether malpractice includes tail coverage and whether 401k includes matching, but I'll be getting the official contract by the end of this week A couple concerns: Lower than average salary for my location. I'm thinking of countering with 105k. Average starting salary in my area is 110k but to be honest this is the best offer I've received. I know a few classmates who accepted an equivalent ~110k salary with small physician-owned practices but were lacking on benefits (e.g. no Medical/Dental/Vision, no 401k) As detailed in another post, I'm not sure if oncology is the specialty I want to stay in (although I want to stay in the general internal medicine field). However this is the best best offer I've received after looking for the past 2-3 months. I know that's not a relatively long time for a job hunt and I am okay with searching a bit longer for a better offer in a more generalized field; I'm just not sure if it will come at this point.  Any thoughts appreciated. 
    • By SoCal_PA
      The last poll in Jan 2017 had 215 responses. Time for round 2. Votes are anonymous. 

Select your GROSS (before taxes and other deductions) income which includes your base pay plus bonuses. Again, this is as informal as it gets. We all know years in practice and location play a huge impact on these numbers. 

***EDIT: I edited the poll in order to add more options at the top end. As of writing this, there were 3 people who selected " >$180k" which is now the option "$180k-190k"

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More