Hello fellow colleagues! I am a new grad PA and I need your help. I got a job offer at an urgent care but I'm unsure if I want to accept it. I am in SoCal. 

2 weeks training.  The UC sees 20-30 patients at one location while 35-50 at another.  

Base pay: 55+ (no bonuses)

malpractice with tail

NO CME and  PTO

Have yet to talk about health insurance and retirement. 

It's 1099 NOT W-2

That's horrible.

If you're not W2, you're not an employee (unless they have a weird set up).  Means you pay all the taxes.

1099 likely means NO benefits or insurance.  1099 is usually considered an independent contractor.

You have a LOT of clarification to do but even if it all landed in your favor, 55/hr is not good for UC, especially in a high COL area.

35 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

That's horrible.

If you're not W2, you're not an employee (unless they have a weird set up).  Means you pay all the taxes.

1099 likely means NO benefits or insurance.  1099 is usually considered an independent contractor.

You have a LOT of clarification to do but even if it all landed in your favor, 55/hr is not good for UC, especially in a high COL area.

Hi MT2PA, thank you for your opinion. I felt it was horrible offer too esp with the 1099 but wanted some second opinions. I'm going to try to negotiate. I knoq 55/hr is not great for UC but as a new grad i thought it was a okay if it was W-2 anyway.

23 hours ago, ChompPaChewyChomp said:

Horrible offer. You can always negotiate however in this case it is unlikely you would be able to achieve anything decent enough to accept.

Keep pounding the pavement for jobs, there are much better offers out there.

I tried to negotiate and it was barely better. 

19 minutes ago, funinthesun said:

I tried to negotiate and it was barely better. 

I've been in this situation a handful of times as a new grad. It sucks especially when you have a specific specialty or location in mind. Just think of each interview and negotiation as an experience that will benefit you in your future hiring.

It takes quite a bit of perseverance and luck to land the "ideal" job as a new grad. Keep looking, there are always new opportunities opening up. In the end you'll be happy you didn't settle for less than your worth.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:45 AM, Potatolife said:

Just as the others stated above, this is a horrible offer. Do not accept it. $55/hour for an urgent care is low. No CME or PTO? Those should be a given. Apply elsewhere. You can find a much better offer

Thank you for your advice! I decided not to take the job and will be negotiating another contract at another practice. Fingers crossed!

I'm glad you didn't take it....first off Urgent Care, especially if solo coverage at the clinic,  is not a great place for a new grad. Everyone already told you the other problems with the offer....NO CME or PTO and 1099...they want you to make them money until your soul is crushed and then get someone else to abuse and take advantage of...and in a very high COL area to boot !! The last UC job I turned down in teh Austin area was $62 an hour with bonus based on the clinic not my own productivity , full benefits. The one that I will be working at PRN is $60 and hour, full benefits if full time and has a bonus structure that should easily get my compensation over $70 an hour, and I still get it if PRN. Central Texas, much lower COL and no state tax. 

I still stand by my first statement however,  I would not have wanted to work UC as my first job out of school... 

Archived