New grad critical care offer (trauma + ICU)

Hey everyone!! 

Hoping to get some insight on my offer for a position at a Level II trauma center in SoCal. I worked with this group of surgeons as a student so I know it would be an excellent learning environment and tons of good exposure. My time will be split weekly, working in trauma + gen surgery one week and strictly in ICU the next. Training will include running traumas, first assist, various procedures, ICU and vent management, etc. No surgery residents. They currently have 3 NPs and 1 PA and are looking to expand. 

Base salary at $110k.

Hours/call: 40hr/week, leaving promptly at end of shift. No overnight shifts as new grad until myself and SP are comfortable. Contract states that call will be paid "standard on call fees" but does not state exact amount. They did stress that being on call is not likely, esp as a new grad.

Benefits: Health insurance, they pay 90% of standard costs. Have to pay for my own dental and vision. ( is this normal?) Malpractice insurance covered- will be sure to ask about tail coverage. Not eligible for 401k plan until 1 full year of employment!! Seems a little odd to me, thoughts? 

PTO: "employee shall accrue 0.05 hours of PTO for every 1 hour of work performed" which if my math is correct comes out to about 10 days of PTO -_- hoping this is a typo because that's extremely low. The APPs currently work 4 10s a week but will likely move to 3 12s as more APPs are hired so I am not sure how this affects the amount of PTO. I am thinking of asking for 4 weeks PTO to include vacation, sick and CME days. 

CME: $1500, does not state specific number of days off 

Overall, I am really happy with the offer as a trauma position has been my dream for a long time! Not so happy with the PTO, but believe they will be willing to work with me! I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Guest HanSolo

PTO is a little low. 401k until some period of time is common. Salary seems fine especially for what you're doing. Sounds like a neat job!

I'd get clarification on anything you think is missing such as the on call rate, tail coverage, days off for CME. If it's not in writing, then it doesn't exist. 

100 hrs of PTO is actually 2.5 weeks (if you are counting 40hr weeks). Is still a bit low.

If you are working for the hospital (and not a private group), they may have limited flexibility with the offer. If it's a private group however, then that would be different.

Sounds like an interesting job, however!

Clarify if you don't have access to the 401K as in you can't contribute your own money, or it simply means they won't contribute or match until a year in. Most places contribute from the jump, but you often aren't vested (meaning their money is theirs) until 1-5 years.

Archived