Prolia in office

We do it. Prolia gets mailed to us (if the patient prefers) or to the patient and they bring to us. Simple subcutaneous injection. You can bill for the injection administration and an office visit for osteoporosis as long as you meet billing criteria. Only real liability would be if you lost a patient’s medication. We do not purchase the prolia ourselves to administer, as that could be more of a financial liability if a dose is lost, expires, etc. 

We do it pretty frequently. We use a local specialty pharmacy and have the syringes shipped to us. I verify labs before the MA injects the patient, it's usually less than a 10 minute visit. I try to have them come in for an official visit every other injection (at least q1yr) for review of labs and to check in. 

1 of my pts is on prolia. The other was, but developed ONJ (osteonecrosis of the jaw) which is a rare but potential SE of Prolia, and is now on oral once weekly bisphosphonate therapy now. Orals carry some risk of ONJ from what I have ready but much less so than Prolia. I inherited both patients. I think prolia is great for the right patient but isnt first choice for everyone.

Archived