Sign in to follow this  

How to handle multiple offers PRIOR to graduation-

Hey all, I won't be graduating for a good six months or so and have several extremely interested potential employers (all of which are speciality practices, particularly neurosurgery with the exception of one). My wife and I are being flown out to several different places and will have a lot of deciding to do.

However, I do have several questions, as this would be my first job out of school:

1. Are there any legal implications I need to be aware of going into this? Can I legally sign a contract or agree to employment prior to my commencement?

2. Do I tell the potential employers about other offers?

3. How long is generally standard to be given in order to make a decision on a job?

4. Are there any other tips/tricks that you'd give in the process? MUST haves in a contract, etc.?

5. Obviously I can only take ONE job, what is the best way to inform the others that are interested in hiring me that I have found employment? Phone call, email, formal letter?

6. If you are "hired" prior to graduation, is it standard for them to pay for your licensing/PANCE, etc.?

Thanks-

BBE

Talk with someone at your school. Make sure you know the correct things so you can compare jobs... considerations to include are CME money and days, PTO, Call, liability insurance, reimbursement for license etc., cost of health insurance etc... I learned all the questions after I accepted and signed paperwork for my job... Fortunately, I work for a fair and honest employer. Any job accceptance should be contigent on getting license etc. Watch out for competition clauses... Don't feel rushed into any decision, and take your time to make sure your questions are answered...

Hey all, I won't be graduating for a good six months or so and have several extremely interested potential employers (all of which are speciality practices, particularly neurosurgery with the exception of one). My wife and I are being flown out to several different places and will have a lot of deciding to do.

However, I do have several questions, as this would be my first job out of school:

1. Are there any legal implications I need to be aware of going into this? Can I legally sign a contract or agree to employment prior to my commencement?

2. Do I tell the potential employers about other offers?

3. How long is generally standard to be given in order to make a decision on a job?

4. Are there any other tips/tricks that you'd give in the process? MUST haves in a contract, etc.?

5. Obviously I can only take ONE job, what is the best way to inform the others that are interested in hiring me that I have found employment? Phone call, email, formal letter?

6. If you are "hired" prior to graduation, is it standard for them to pay for your licensing/PANCE, etc.?

Thanks-

BBE

There are no legal issues regarding signing a contract prior to graduation. It is standard for them to pay licensing, mine position will pay for the PANCE upon verification that I passed the exam. Read through the contract/negotiation section for other good info about what to include in contracts. Congrats on the multiple offers!

2/3. I wouldn't disclose upfront that you have other offers unless it's prudent. For instance, if one employer has made an offer and your decision depends on pending offers from other potential employers, then be honest with them and say so.

I just started my first job and the process deciding between 3 offers was difficult. I didn't feel comfortable asking the first offer to wait longer than a week or two before giving them my decision. I also shadowed at the two places that I was torn between in order to help my decision (and buy myself more time!) You may have trouble doing that, though, if it requires flying out to another city..

4. The big thing PA's are advised to look out for in a contract is a non-compete clause. My contract has one, but it's very reasonable.

Another thing to keep in mind contract-wise is the performance review. Typically they're done annually, or not at all, but sometimes if the salary offer is low (because you're a new grad) and they aren't able to come up on the offer, you can compromise by requesting to have your performance reviewed in 6-9 months when you'll be more comfortable and making them more money.

5. I think it is always best to call to decline an offer.

6. As mentioned, I think it is standard with most offers to new grads to include provision for state licensing, that wonderful $550 DEA registration, state controlled substance registration, and anything else spent on the credentialing process. I was hired a few months after graduating so my PANCE wasn't covered, but everything else was reimbursed from my CME fund. It's not often paid upfront though, which kinda stinks.. reimbursement isn't the fastest process.