Hello All, 

I hope you are doing well. I was just curious if anyone has run into the same issue with shadowing that i am in currently. So, unfortunately I dont have the connections to other PAs like some people do, so this leads to having to go above and beyond to try to find PAs to shadow. I finally found one that is willing to take me on that doesn't currently have PA students with them (I go to Gannon University and I live close to Mercyhurst University, which both have PA programs), however, they want me to pay $50 per shadowing visit. I have never heard of anything like this before. Is this normal to pay $50/per shadow experience? Or is this just a UPMC thing. Is it worth it? Or should i keep trying to find other facilities that dont require such. 

- Zach 

Guest thePAway

I have shadowed at a few different locations and have a lot of friends who have shadowed at others and I have personally never heard of anyone paying to shadow. I also did not personally have a connection to any PAs but I asked doctors/nurses I knew if they had any coworker PA friends that they could set me up with and that is how I found the ones I shadowed! PAs work with a lot of other health professionals so even if you do not know a PA you should ask any health professional you know if they know a PA

Hope that helps!

5 minutes ago, CheesePlease said:

I have shadowed at a few different locations and have a lot of friends who have shadowed at others and I have personally never heard of anyone paying to shadow. I also did not personally have a connection to any PAs but I asked doctors/nurses I knew if they had any coworker PA friends that they could set me up with and that is how I found the ones I shadowed! PAs work with a lot of other health professionals so even if you do not know a PA you should ask any health professional you know if they know a PA

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I definitely found it really odd that they want me to pay to literally stand and watch... i will keep trying my luck! 

Good luck with everything!

I shadowed some PAs and a doctor through UPMC (Pittsburgh) and I didn't have to pay at all. Some of the PAs I shadowed at UPMC were either through connections of a student organization or I met them along the way during my undergrad. I think it is a bit odd though that they are charging you just to shadow. I'd keep searching around. Best of luck!

I had a lot of luck simply googling “physician assistants near me” and went down the lists and chose the ones that I was interested in. If you don’t have very many near you I would just try calling all of them and see who agrees to have a student. All I did was call the clinic where the PA worked and was always able to come in to shadow depending on availability. 

Some places had more extensive paperwork than others but I was never asked to pay...and I was even able to shadow total knee and hip replacement surgeries with one.

Good luck!

Archived