Litho101

New graduate, spine surgery offer.

Hey guys. I am a recent new graduate living in Illinois now. I have been looking for a job for about 2 months now, still waiting for my license and so forth. I have interview in a few places and just got my first offer. I've kind of researched and looked around what is good and such but I'm coming here for some more help if possible. This position is with a spine doctor who spends 50/50 in office and OR, which I will be doing along side with. looking for PA because of the high volume. He does have call, I am not sure if its paid or not, it's not in the contract.

Salary: $90,000

10% bonus of PA surgical receipts (can someone explain/clarify?)

dental, health, vision, life, disability, (nothing about malpractice, I will ask)

15 days vacation (paid or not???)

5 CME days per year, $1500 per year

Allowance for dues, fees, memberships etc....

Any feedback/help will be great full. To me this may seem on the low end, but I know I am a new graduate with not much experience.

Salary is largely dependent on COL obviously. I have no idea what the COL is like in your area but 90k is the absolute floor for any new grad PA position imo. Show him the labor statistics and see if you can negotiate to at least $100-105k. It would also be beneficial if you could ask a current or former PA there what the 10% bonus typically translates to. 15 days (3 weeks) vacation is OK for a new grad, see if they would up it to 4 after the first year. $1500 for CME is a bit low. 

As this being your first job it's extremely important is having a supervising doc who is very understanding and helpful to you during your training period.

Hopefully more experienced people on here I'm sure will have much better info regarding this specialty as well. I can not say what the schedule and hours would be like.

Good luck!

Edited by ChompPaChewyChomp

1 hour ago, ChompPaChewyChomp said:

Salary is largely dependent on COL obviously. I have no idea what the COL is like in your area but 90k is the absolute floor for any new grad PA position imo. Show him the labor statistics and see if you can negotiate to at least $100-105k. It would also be beneficial if you could ask a current or former PA there what the 10% bonus typically translates to. 15 days (3 weeks) vacation is OK for a new grad, see if they would up it to 4 after the first year. $1500 for CME is a bit low. 

As this being your first job it's extremely important is having a supervising doc who is very understanding and helpful to you during your training period.

Hopefully more experienced people on here I'm sure will have much better info regarding this specialty as well. I can not say what the schedule and hours would be like.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. IL (and the suburb of Chicago I live in) the COL is pretty much in the middle imo. The only reference for expected salary that I have is what I've seen from the AAPA report which says the orthopaedic surgery 0-1 years experience is $90k/year is the 50th percent tile. I think i will try to counter for a base salary which you stated. I also felt that CME did feel a little low, I was thinking of around $2.5k 

The doctor stated that he wants a new graduate over a experienced PA because he would like to teach someone and train them well, he expected me to spend 1-2 years of training to get to a level that he would want to see me at. He did seem like he is a very understanding and helpful doctor that would be there for me during my training.

Another question if someone might be able to answer. Having call, it should generally be paid correct? and from my understanding is it usually a set cash amount, like xxx for weekdays and xxx for weekends? If someone might know a general amount that it could be? Thanks again

When i started as a new grad, i took ortho offer about 4 hours from where you are. salary was 88k, 3 weeks PTO, 2500 CME, call pay was paid separate and comes out to about 10k a year. bonus is set up to be 15% of collections after your salary/overhead. 

20 hours ago, Litho101 said:

The doctor stated that he wants a new graduate over a experienced PA because he would like to teach someone and train them well, he expected me to spend 1-2 years of training to get to a level that he would want to see me at. He did seem like he is a very understanding and helpful doctor that would be there for me during my training.

Another question if someone might be able to answer. Having call, it should generally be paid correct? and from my understanding is it usually a set cash amount, like xxx for weekdays and xxx for weekends? If someone might know a general amount that it could be? Thanks again

That's awesome! Call should ALWAYS be paid. No one should ever work for free.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, Believe said:

When i started as a new grad, i took ortho offer about 4 hours from where you are. salary was 88k, 3 weeks PTO, 2500 CME, call pay was paid separate and comes out to about 10k a year. bonus is set up to be 15% of collections after your salary/overhead. 

Thanks for the info. Just curious what year was that for you when you got the 88k offer?

22 hours ago, ChompPaChewyChomp said:

Perfect thank, will make sure that, that is paid with this contract then too.

25 minutes ago, Litho101 said:

Thanks for the info. Just curious what year was that for you when you got the 88k offer?

Perfect thank, will make sure that, that is paid with this contract then too.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:16 PM, ChompPaChewyChomp said:

I talked to them and clarified some questions that I had and it seems that call is not currently paid. Would anyone have any tips in figuring how to go about this? Is it best to just request paid call and figure out a number with them if they agree to pay?

9 hours ago, Litho101 said:

I talked to them and clarified some questions that I had and it seems that call is not currently paid. Would anyone have any tips in figuring how to go about this? Is it best to just request paid call and figure out a number with them if they agree to pay?

Are there other PAs in practice? if so, might be hard for them to pay you call if they aren't paying others extra. FWIW our call pay is as follows: $200/if you get called in during week and $250 on weekend day. If no surgery, then you only get $75/125

I work for a spine surgeon in Oregon and my call bonus is $100/day (weekday or weekend is the same) and an additional $100 if we physically have to go in and operate. That being said, my call is setup in a way that my surgeon takes all new consult calls and I take any calls on existing patients from clinic who call the answering service, or patients who are currently admitted to the hospital. Hope this helps.