2019/2020 Cycle

A question for any of the prospective or current students. As of now I've applied to 13 schools, my CASPA was verified beginning of June. My stats are as follows. GPA- 3.12, GRE-303, over 6,000 hours HCE as an ER tech and MA, over 200 shadowing a PA, excellent letters of rec.  I would like to apply to this school but after realizing my extreme downfall with my GPA being much lower than others I've seen, I'm becoming discouraged. My freshman year I had a couple Cs and a D which I would mentioned in the supplemental, since then its been all As and few Bs. 

I would love extremely honest brutal answers, I need to strengthen my application where I can. I'm 29 and a couple of my science courses are 10 years old as of this year, making this probably my last year applying (my 3rd cycle) unless there's something I'm missing that I can do to increase my chances. 

South U GA was my first choice but after seeing everyone accepting interviews and seats already I am realizing I may never get into this profession, one I have been pining for for years. 

21 hours ago, Kdean said:

A question for any of the prospective or current students. As of now I've applied to 13 schools, my CASPA was verified beginning of June. My stats are as follows. GPA- 3.12, GRE-303, over 6,000 hours HCE as an ER tech and MA, over 200 shadowing a PA, excellent letters of rec.  I would like to apply to this school but after realizing my extreme downfall with my GPA being much lower than others I've seen, I'm becoming discouraged. My freshman year I had a couple Cs and a D which I would mentioned in the supplemental, since then its been all As and few Bs. 

I would love extremely honest brutal answers, I need to strengthen my application where I can. I'm 29 and a couple of my science courses are 10 years old as of this year, making this probably my last year applying (my 3rd cycle) unless there's something I'm missing that I can do to increase my chances. 

South U GA was my first choice but after seeing everyone accepting interviews and seats already I am realizing I may never get into this profession, one I have been pining for for years. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have been discouraged about this process. This is my second year applying, but last year I wasn't even eligible and got rejection letters immediately. I realized that the PA programs weren't easy last year and it's highly competitive, so I got a full time job for Direct Patient Care hours and retook 3 classes to boost my C's to A's to improve my GPA. My science GPA is still yucky at 3.14, but my overall is a 3.86. I'm hoping that everything else will look strong so that won't be too much of an issue, but who knows! My advice to you would be to speak to someone over the program because they will usually be very honest with you and be able to give helpful advice that is honest and focused on you. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:46 PM, Kdean said:

Hi friend. Your experience and shadowing are amazing. You're right that the GPA is on the low end, and some programs do have a minimum GPA requirement. However, We are still early in the application cycle so keep looking out for interview invites. 

My only recommendation would be to take more science classes and keep boosting that GPA. It might take several classes though because of how many credit hours you already have. 

As far as your classes passing the 10 year mark; there are a good number of schools that have no set time frame for prerequisites and you would still qualify for those. 

But I feel for you. I know how expensive these applications are, and how badly I want to be a PA. Best wishes, and I hope you make it into a program. Good luck!

On 7/30/2019 at 2:10 PM, mattjmartin28 said:

I received it as well. I don't necessarily think that it is a bad thing. I think that they just have a lot of applications to consider and they are taking their time going over all of them! Keep your heads up!

I got that email as well. I hope you are right and that they just have a lot to sort through. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cmready97 said:

I applied the first week of June and haven’t heard back besides the application still under review email, is anyone else in the same boat? People who applied a few weeks later are getting interviews and rejected so just wondering what to think!!

I applied May 28 and have not heard anything.