CASPer

Guest thePAway

Guest thePAway

Hi! I am starting to look at supplemental materials that programs I am applying to this cycle require and some of them mention requiring CASPer. Has anyone taken this that can give some insight into if they prepared for it and the logistics of it?

CASPA is a shared application service used by many programs. You can apply to multiple programs simultaneously and they act as the clearing house for things like transcripts and letters of recommendation. Check out the CASPA website.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Guest thePAway
18 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

CASPA is a shared application service used by many programs. You can apply to multiple programs simultaneously and they act as the clearing house for things like transcripts and letters of recommendation. Check out the CASPA website.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to the online test called CASPer not CASPA. I saw that some programs are starting to require it for this upcoming cycle. It is an online test that assesses personality and communication skills.

I took the CASPer for one of the schools I applied to last year. I didn't do much prep work for it, you can't really with how it's laid out. Here is a quote from the FAQ of their website as far as format goes:

"The CASPer test is composed of 12 sections:  8 video-based scenarios and 4 word-based scenarios given to you in random order.  Each of the 12 sections is followed by 3 questions relating to the video/word-based scenario or asking you to reflect on a related personal experience.  You will have 5 minutes to type your answer to the 3 questions before you are directed to the next section."

The only thing I'd suggest is to definitely take advantage of their current sample questions, it'll give you a feel for how it's laid out and how the timing goes (Those questions are listed on the website FAQs, which I've linked here). 5 minutes may seem like a lot but the questions tend to be very open ended so I would practice typing complete, succinct answers that clearly show your stance and why.

Don't overthink the CASPer.  

1. Take their practice test, which should include both a video and text based scenario.

2. Read a couple Reddit threads and do some basic Googling on how to answer the questions.  The scenarios will always be different but if you apply the same formula to each one you'll be fine.  The formula is essentially this; if there is a blatantly obvious right/wrong choice pick the right one regardless of how many coworkers' or friends' lives you ruin.  If there is gray area, discuss a couple options and their pros/cons, pick one and justify it.  You can always mention that you would seek input from peers, supervisors, etc. before making a decision as healthcare is a collaborative field.

3. Take the test in a quiet area where no one will be trying to talk to you.

4. Try your best to forget about the test.  This will keep you from getting irrationally angry that you just spent your hard earned money on a standardized ethics test in addition to the GRE, GRE prep materials, CASPA, school secondaries, etc.

A couple other random tips: Take a typing speed test a month or so beforehand and do some practice paragraphs if you need to up your speed.  The CASPer claims not evaluate you based on spelling and grammar but better safe than sorry I think.  Take full advantage of the breaks offered during the test (get up, stretch, walk around, use the bathroom, get a drink of water).  Finally, have some personal anecdotes in mind for when you were presented with frustrating or ethically challenging situations.   

Archived