Chief/Director of Advanced Practice

Hi friends! Does anyone have any idea what an admin/clinical (split is likely 40/60%) position where one would be the chief or director of Advanced Practice Providers (APP) is worth? Said provider would be covering a group of critical care PAs/NPs/hospitalists, there’s maybe 15 providers total. The position requires oversight of scheduling, annual evaluations per provider, hiring and interviews, stepping in when there are sick calls as able, and overall management of daily operations of the group, in addition to keeping a constant stream of communication with medical director and hospital wide APP groups. We cover 60 ICU beds with an avg of 6 providers on each day.

Would probably work just over 40hrs a week on a salaried basis. Not concerned about benefits as they will not change given this would be a promotional position within the same company.

Do I seek a number or a percentage increase? What do you think is reasonable? I have no clue where to start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a job like that almost 20 years ago for 2 years and got 10% over base. writing a schedule for a lg group is tough. I did that as part of the duties and always ended up with the worst schedule after giving everyone else vacation, cme, etc. also had to do regular shifts in addition to admin, so 7 am meetings after getting off shift at 0200, then being back on shift at 1500.

Ooh that sounds ugly! These are things I’d like to spell out before accepting or declining. The group morale right now is horrific and has been for a few years because there’s just no leadership from within and they’re hoping this role will change that. I think I know I’m not going to be loved all the time when it comes to scheduling and the trickle down demands from the medical director but it’s a role that needs to be filled if the APP group is going to survive here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the thing that I am happiest about from my time doing that is that I convinced the powers that be to stop hiring moonlighting 2nd and 3rd yr IM residents who would see 1 pt/hr , require lots of handholding, and refused to see kids(and made $100/hr) and instead to hire experienced PAs/NPs who made about 50/hr at the time and would see 2-3 pts/hr independently. It was great telling the doc(who was kind of an ass) who scheduled the moonlighters that we would no longer be requiring their services.....:)

• 3 weeks later...

I view a "good" raise as 10-15% and a great raise as 15-25%, so somewhere in there would be an off-the-cuff answer.

But if you have friends in the same organization who are also in an adminstrative role, consider asking them how their compensation changed. 

You can also ask for comp-time to be built-in, so additional hours you work covering providers who are sick or doing extra admin work outside of 40 hours generates PTO for you somehow.

Archived