Emergency Medicine: Hourly or Salary

A little bit of background... I am an ED PA/NP director for a moderately sized hospital group. We are reviewing contracts and an interesting idea came up.

I have worked for and seen contracts for a few different groups in the area who are all paying ED PA's hourly, but those working on our contracts are stating that they have to pay us a salary instead because we are exempt employees.

I'm wondering if most of ED PA are being paid hourly or salary and if anyone knows any background on why they are coming to this conclusion.

Looking forward to being educated!

full time hourly x 22 years at multiple locations in 3 states.  . salary is an invitation to be abused. 

salary would have to be very well spelled out with a discussion of overtime, for example 75/hr for 144 hrs/month. any hrs above 144 at 1.5x base rate of pay. I know folks working open ended salary arrangements who are paid for 160 hrs and required to work much more to meet the needs of their departments. that is not ok. If I work extra, I get paid to work extra. end of story. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I've only held salaried positions. Military, residency, and my upcoming job at a CAH. The first 2 are obviously non-negotiable, but I have it spelled out at my new job that I will be required to work no more than 12-12 hour shifts in a 28 day period and no more than 3 shifts in a week with 4 hours per week of admin time. I have a float month that I will work 2 of in 10 months, that will randomize my schedule, but still no more than 12 in one month and no fewer than 6. Any shifts that I chose to work over 12 will be paid at $90/hr. Being a CAH that sees low volume-high acuity, I prefer this so that I'm still paid a full salary on those float months that I may be working fewer hours and I have my schedule very spelled out and can't really be abused, because honestly I don't want to be forced to work even for extra money. There are days in residency, usually when I'm going in for that 25th shift in 28, that I think even if they were going to pay me $200 per hour I wouldn't go in if I wasn't required.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have been an ED PA for 5+ years. Hourly is more typical. I had a University job that was salaried, but we were expected to work x amount of hours per month (which meant we knew what we made per hour). The physicians were paid hourly. This became interesting when all of the PAs and physicians got laid off. The PAs, who were salaried employees got vacation time and PTO pay outs. We were never actually allowed to take this time off so unknown to the PAs, we had accrued a lot of money. The physicians were not eligible for the payout.