Applying a year after undergrad?

I'm currently finishing up my freshman year as an undergrad, and I'm debating whether or not to apply the summer right after I graduate or a year after graduation. I have no health care experience yet, but this summer I'm getting EMT training. I really like Oregon Health and Science University's PA program.

I think I can get around 2000 unpaid hours by the time I apply the summer immediately after senior year (I need a minimum 2000 hours for OHSU), but I would have more HCE and less stress throughout my undergrad years if I applied a year after graduation. I would like to apply as soon as possible, but it does not seem likely I could be a competitive applicant if I apply immediately after senior year.

Just wait and see what happens over the next few years as an undergrad. It is great that you are thinking so far ahead, but wait and see your standings and how much HCE you have acquired at the end of your junior year and decide then what is best for you, either wait a year or not. I graduated undergrad last May and I started PA school in January (finish my first term tomorrow!) so if you any questions along the way, let me know. But for now, it seems you are on the right track with the right mindset, so just keep that going through undergrad!

All the above posters advice is solid information op. I attempted to apply as soon as I graduated, knowing an additional year was needed for finishing pre reqs/HCE, and the application process of getting all info together( LORS, transcripts, fin aid) is a beast! I am glad I to have the knowledge I gained from my mistakes and lack of preparation/knowledge of the process behind me. If I do get in this cycle, my experiences from attempting to apply will have been a large factor.

Thank you guys for your posts! Much appreciated! :) I guess I am getting ahead of myself. I'll see how undergrad plays out. But just some burning questions:

What do PA programs think about re-applicants? Are they treated just like first-time applicants?

Archived