Chemistry as a BS major going into Dermatologist Assistant

Chemistry would be a fine undergraduate degree for any specialty as a PA-C. There aren't any BS degrees that cater towards dermatology (to my knowledge). 

Also, the title of your thread is what caught my eye. Understand that if you become a PA in dermatology, you are NOT a dermatologist assistant. You are a PA specializing in dermatology. This is the same with any specialty. Just something to keep in mind for future reference. Let me know if you have other questions. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification! I keep seeing them lumped together in my research for working in Dermatology and I should start making that distinction now.

I'd also be interested to know if any or all of these paths: volunteer EMT (with a specialty in treating burns)/Medical tattooist for a plastic surgeon's office and/or surgical technician would help towards any credit/experience at all on my path to a PA? 

I'm a bit confused on how clinical hours for PA and work experience factor into this path. 

Thank you for your time!

EMT work is very good experience for PA school. I worked as an EMT and then went on to become a paramedic prior to PA school. Paramedic is of course better experience, but EMT is also very helpful. I think EMS work is among the best preparatory experience that one can obtain before PA school. Direct patient care, critical thinking, treatment plan development/execution, and learning valuable life-saving skills will translate well to PA school. 

I would avoid medical tattooist. I'm not familiar with that line of work, so I can't speak much to it, but I'm not convinced that admission committees would accept it is direct patient contact hours. Maybe they would. 

Surgical tech is also a good way to go. Great experience in the OR and exposure to good medical conditions. 

My personal opinion is that EMS is the best way to go though. I'm not sure what you mean by specialty in treating burns. EMTs/Paramedics don't specialize. They see anything/everything and need to be well versed in all aspects of prehospital emergency medicine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA forum.
      After doing some soul searching, I decided on maybe going for PA school. I am only a 2nd semester freshman. However, due to many circumstances, such as adjusting to online school, and a 1 star professor, my first semester of college was a 2.5. I also was not planning on anything after undergrad so I wasn't totally motivated on acing everything. I am doing my best this semester to make up for that, and getting a 3.75 or 4 this semester is realistic at the moment since Ive bee working extra hard. I am very worried however that all of the hard work that will come in the next years will be for naught if my 2.5 first semester will weigh me down. I know I am capable of getting mostly As and Bs from here on out, but will my first semester be the bane of my PA school application? Will schools take into account covid college and and very bad professors who hardly knew how to operate education software? Will schools see the upward trend as a good thing? I also understand that my application will be looked at as a package rather than just GPA, so I have some hope, but this worry still lingers.
    • By KH21444
      Hello!
      I'm currently in my undergrad program taking my prerequisites for PA school. I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2023 and applying for PA school that same year.
      As I begin my PA school research, I keep having self-doubts on my ability to learn the content in PA school, which questions my ability to "make it" as a PA.
      While I am doing well in my undergrad/prerequisite courses, I fear I am not genuinely learning the information - just merely memorizing and doing well on exams. My question is: Will I/How badly will I struggle in PA school if I don't remember/didn't efficiently learn the coursework from prerequisites like Biology/A&P/Chemistry?
      I do not fear applying for PA school/getting accepted (aware that it may not happen the first time I apply), but my current GPA is 3.8 and I've been working full-time as a medical assistant for 3 years (plenty of PCE, HCE & shadowing). However, I fear getting into PA school and having the feeling of "what did I get myself into". I've had PAs that I work for all tell me that I can do it, but I keep having this lingering self-doubt that my ADHD brain and I will not be able to grasps concepts like others will due to my lack of deep understanding during prerequisites (and just having recently been diagnosed with ADHD & still learning what medication works best for me).
      Is this feeling normal?
      Thank you to whoever can give me some honest insight!
    • By Lidia86
      Hello everyone. I would like to hear your opinions on online lab classes due to the Covid-19 situation right now. So I’m enrolled in general chemistry with an online lab, and I am contemplating on dropping the class because I’m afraid schools won’t accept it. (Also waist of time and money) Thanks for your opinions. 
    • By Jay017
      Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place I'm new here.
      Hi, I need some advice! I already know I am not a traditional pre-pa student. Here are my stats:
      2017-2019:
      Biology of Cells - C
      A&P 1 - C
      A&P 2 - C
      Micro - C
      Genetics - C
      2020 (Spring, Summer, Fall):
      Gen Chem 1 - B
      Gen Chem 2 - A
      Organic Chem - B
      Organic Chem Lab - A

Spring 2020 GPA: 3.75
      Summer 2020 GPA: 3.67
      Fall 2020 GPA: 3.75 
      Compared to previous semesters an upward trend is definitely happening. It’s just I feel like it’s to late for that to count for much.

2021 Spring: 
      BioChem - TBD
      Physics 2 - TBD 

sGPA = 2.53 
      cGPA = 3.26

I already know that I have to do a post-bac, most likely a diy depending on how high I can get my gpa before graduation.
      The question is should I retake 1-2 classes I originally got a C in before I graduate? Or should I take classes like Organic Chem 2, Essential Physiology (Bio class), etc? I know that when doing my post-bac I will retake classes that I got a C in. So would it be a better decision to take upper-level classes before I graduate & retake lower-lever at my local community college? I could also retake classes from the college I’m graduating from its just more expensive.

Other stats:
      SpnGPA: 3.8 - Major
      PsyGPA: 3.8 - Minor
      Thanks for any help!
    • By vitielloshirls
      question about chem lab!
      Hey everyone! I hope you are well well, I had a question about taking chem lecture and chem lab together. I currently haven't been able to get my lecture and lab together and probably won't be able to do the labs until the summer time. I am looking to apply to most of the nyc/northeast programs and wanted to know if its ok to take the labs separate?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More