Hello everyone!

I start school at the end of May, but I am still working 36-40 hours weekly, as I am the sole provider in my family. I know that it would be advantageous for me to quit my job before school starts, but its very difficult, as one can imagine.

I have managed to save about 2-3 grand (which I can use for my family the month before school starts), or I can keep my job, save that money for school itself,  and quit 10 days before school starts (assuming my loans get dispensed a month before school begins).

Do you think I should my job sooner? If finances weren't such a worry, I would've quit when I first received my acceptance. I know that I can somewhat manage if I quit a month sooner for PA school, but I might struggle (not terribly) financially because of it.

I see no reason why you would NEED to quit your job sooner.  Personally, I would keep working to maximize savings before beginning school.  I had a late acceptance to my program, so I was working anyway and had no time to really do much but put in my 1.5 wk notice.  Now, if you're wanting to have time off with your family or plan a vacation, that's a different story and you should prepare for that in whatever time frame you feel is appropriate for you.

• Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, Blynn12 said:

I see no reason why you would NEED to quit your job sooner.  Personally, I would keep working to maximize savings before beginning school.  I had a late acceptance to my program, so I was working anyway and had no time to really do much but put in my 1.5 wk notice.  Now, if you're wanting to have time off with your family or plan a vacation, that's a different story and you should prepare for that in whatever time frame you feel is appropriate for you.

Thank you for the advice! I planned a trip at the end of this month, and after that will come right back to work. Work doesn't bother (or exhaust) me too much, so Im relieved in that sense.

Work as long as you can.

You absolutely need to verify when loans are disbursed.  My program started mid May but the loans are disbursed based on the undergrad/main school academic schedule - and summer term didn't start until Mid May.  Plus it takes up to a week from disbursement to actually post to your bank account.  We didn't get our living expenses money until several days after starting classes.

This came up a LOT during my program.  For example: PA program would start classes right after the new year and the main academic calendar wouldn't start until MLK day - so loans didn't go out until then.  Happened with EVERY semester.

From what you've said you can't afford to quit much earlier than 10 days out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2