Our program is 'business casual'.  They want to get us used to dressing professional now so there won't be any slip-ups upon rotations and once we start working.  I don't have any issues with it.Our program is 'business casual'.  They want to get us used to dressing professional now so there won't be any slip-ups upon rotations and once we start working.  I don't have any issues with it.

Any inter-professional events or mock patient activities we must be dressed in either scrubs or business casual. Otherwise we can wear what we want. I don't see the point of a dress code, personally. At this stage in our lives I think my last concern is whether I'm wearing sweats or not to class

Business casual. It was an adjustment for us as the dress code was instituted by our new program director after the school year had started. The previous class had no dress code so most of the class was not prepared for a shift in wardrobe. We had a jeans day where people could pay a dollar into the class fund and wear casual clothes.

The dress code was never really enforced by anyone, which was good because certain faculty would wear ratty jeans or scrubs. 

didactic year we were business casual only if we had an event or sim model; if just lectures none which I thought was great, it's PA school, an extra 5 minutes in the morning meant a lot to me, I was often decked out in basketball shorts and a tee. I lecture now and could care less when I walk in and students look they just rolled OOB, brings back good (and awful memories).

Ours use to be business casual all the time, but apparently they go back and forth on the issue, we currently do not have a dress code for classes other than basic "not provocative, no clothes in ill repair, no obscene graphic t shirts" kind of stuff; but all patient encounters and all simulated patient encounters are biz-cas + a lab coat. (Also no scrubs outside of an OR).

Personally I don't think there is much benefit for classes, the way we are now makes sense to me. The hiccups get sorted out with the occasional dress up days. But dress varies so much from practice to practice that preparing for biz-cas all the time doesn't make too much sense.

You can even argue that lab coats and ties should not be allowed because they are proven fomites due to infrequent washing. But traditions are difficult to change.

Archived