I am a new grad as of August 2018 and have had no offers yet until now.

This is a for a small family practice and with a MD who has never worked with a PA before. What they have offered to me I have heard of before. They are not offering a typical salary but instead are offering me 30% of insurance pay out for each patient I see and 30% of cash paid patients. No CME allowance, no health insurance. They are offering me malpractice with tail. 

Training will be $20 an hour until MD feels I am competent, then the 30% will become effective. They say that I will be working a minimum of 6 hours 4 days a week. 

Has anyone ever heard of this type of offer? I dont want to sell myself short, but I am in need of experience. 

1 hour ago, BillyCNA said:

I am in Florida...

Florida seems like an unfavorable place for PAs. This offer is insulting. Do not even consider it. No PA should be working full-time for under $85,000 a year, unless it's an approved residency or postgraduate program. Even if you're training, they shouldn't only pay you $20/hour. Seems like this doctor needs to be a little more educated on PAs. Consider applying for jobs an hour or two away if you have to and moving nearby

Don't do it. 

I feel like every couple of months, a new grad posts a questionable job offer. The general consensus from the forum is to not take it. For whatever reason, the new grad decides to take the offer ... and then a few short months later there is another post from the new grad asking for advice on how to quit a job with <3-6 months time on station.

Don't be a statistic. Keep looking. Good luck, I hope another job offer comes your way soon. 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:40 AM, BillyCNA said:

20$ an hour for training. Than they say it will switch to 30% reimbursement for insurance of pts I see.

I get that, but one should not be compensated less because of a training period. I do not generate revenue, as nurses do not get reimbursed by insurance companies for procedures...yet I am fully compensated during orientation. 

Your services get reimbursed so no you should not accept $20 during your training period unless it's an accredited residency program or one of those coveted specialties (ie Dermatology/Plastics).

I wish you all the best and hope you continue the job search and land a job that will pay you respectfully.

Archived