Observation Unit Thoughts?

I was wondering if any of the more experienced PAs here know much about working in an observation unit. I've read a mixture of things online, but there really isn't much out there about the PA's role in an observation unit. As for context, I may have a good chance of working in a geographical area that is saturated with PA programs, PAs and NPs. It would allow me to move closer to my family and would mean credentialing with one of the largest healthcare networks in the region. I'm a little nervous about the actual role, but I think it might be a good move for my personal life. I'm not certain about this, but I think it would be easier to transition into a different job within the same network later on. I'm not sure when/if I'll have another opportunity to get a job in this region, given the competition. 

Has anyone here worked in an observation unit, and would you mind sharing your experience or thoughts? If you want to PM me instead, that works too. 

Do you think this would be good clinical experience for a relatively new(ish) PA? I'm not particularly interested in one specific specialty, so I think it would be better to stay broad. If I worked there for a few years or so, do you think it would help me be more competitive in the future for something like primary care, hospitalist medicine or cardiology? 

Thank you for any thoughts or feedback!! 

we had an ED obs unit at my last job. basically patients we wanted to admit, but the hospitalist refused or who needed a chest pain workup with treadmill or TIA workup. pretty easy work. acuity all over the map and lots of folks later ended up getting full admits.  I only did 2 shifts or so a month there , but still racked up 80+ treadmills during that time. not a bad gig. 

There’s a wide variety of Obs unit. Some are just for chest pain, others ED holds, some others are basically med tele floor. My experience was in a half obs / half med tele unit. It was a good mix of people that should really be in step down units versus syncope/ ams/ mild copd exacerbations. We ran a few codes, intubated a few people, along with dealt with all the “social admits.” Overall it was a good experience, but I think it is probably unit dependent as far as what your daily experience is like

obs does not mean simple

in fact I have had a few patients get put on the obs unit the I would STRONGLY disagree with being there

one in particular comes to mind where a PE was missed on the obs unit as it was a straight CP admission

could be a great job looking for the rare ones, and keeping people going...

Hmmm, I have a sneaky suspicion this is for my hospitals new obs unit opening up and we're hiring 10 new PAs.

I clearly don't have experience with it....yet, but I will be the one covering it overnight come monday, so I can let you know. I expect it'll be fairly easy, but I have 6 years on the job now and I see these patients already---now they just get their own, new, fancy wing.

5 hours ago, SamthePA said:

To add on, our new obs unit will have a strict inclusion/exclusion criteria list for the triage hospitalist to go thru. It should be your bread and butter cases with <24h anticipated stay---likely much less than this. 

be very very careful about "early closure" as it will get you sued.....

just because someone else "thinks" the CP is just an AMI rule out (could have been a crappy ER resident, or an overtired provider) don't just go with that Dx.  You are medical professional and need to look at each case with a fresh look...

congrats on new job!!

Archived