I've been looking at a lot of the stats threads on here and a lot of applicants seem to have HCE, mainly working as a nurse or EMT previous to applying. I've seen a few that were accepted right out of graduation, which is my plan.

I plan to apply a year from now and HOPEFULLY get admitted to the class of 2014. Since I'm still finishing my undergrad, I still have more time to volunteer and shadow and whatnot.

But so far, I have 500+ hours of paid volunteering at a convalescent hospital and some volunteer work with homeless children in San Diego.

I am shadowing 2-3 PA's with different specialties this summer.

Also, I have already started training to become a CNA, and will be certified in about 2 months.

I don't have a stellar GPA, but it has been on an upward trend. I am a California resident.

So, what I'm trying to get at here is are there certain programs that are more lenient towards students who are applying right out of their undergrad?

Also, any other advice to give would be great! More volunteer work? More shadowing? Working as a CNA? Is paid volunteering better than non-paid voluteering?

Thank you!!!! :=D:

I'm with bigdude. WTH is "paid volunteering?" Anyhow, you should check with the schools you wish to apply to and see what they recommend as far as HCE goes. I would think there isn't really "leniency" for anyone. There are standards and you should meet them, regardless of when/how you get there. My CASPA app was mailed in right after graduation (meaning I was working on the app while still in undergrad) and I was accepted, but I had nearly 6K HCE hrs. Many others have done the same thing, so it's definitely doable.

As far as any other advice, I don't think I could say anything that hasn't been said in many other threads. Read a few. :)

Well, thanks for focusing on something other than "paid volunteering".

But, since you all are wondering... "

(a)

Long term, paid

: In this category, volunteers are usually sent to work on long term projects lasting for over a year in which the volunteer may almost lose contact with his or her old way of life. For these positions, professionals with qualifications, specific skills and relevant work experience are usually recruited, for example doctors, nurses, engineers etc., and they can receive benefits including a monthly salary based on the local rate, air tickets, insurance, lodging etc."

Well, thanks for focusing on something other than "paid volunteering".

But, since you all are wondering... "

(a)

Long term, paid

: In this category, volunteers are usually sent to work on long term projects lasting for over a year in which the volunteer may almost lose contact with his or her old way of life. For these positions, professionals with qualifications, specific skills and relevant work experience are usually recruited, for example doctors, nurses, engineers etc., and they can receive benefits including a monthly salary based on the local rate, air tickets, insurance, lodging etc."

Then that's not volunteering...

Okay then let's rephrase the question.

I've been looking at a lot of the stats threads on here and a lot of applicants seem to have HCE, mainly working as a nurse or EMT previous to applying. I've seen a few that were accepted right out of graduation, which is my plan.

I plan to apply a year from now and HOPEFULLY get admitted to the class of 2014. Since I'm still finishing my undergrad, I still have more time to volunteer and shadow and whatnot.

But so far, I have 500+ hours of work at a convalescent hospital and some volunteer work with homeless children in San Diego.

I am shadowing 2-3 PA's with different specialties this summer.

Also, I have already started training to become a CNA, and will be certified in about 2 months.

I don't have a stellar GPA, but it has been on an upward trend. I am a California resident.

So, what I'm trying to get at here is are there certain programs that are more lenient towards students who are applying right out of their undergrad?

Also, any other advice to give would be great! More volunteer work? More shadowing? Working as a CNA?

Thank you!!!!

I agree with read some of the other threads on the general pre-pa forum.

I had no HCE and got into 4 programs, and Im only 21 right out of undergrad. So yes, its 100% possible. My philosophy is any program that doesn't require HCE is more willing to accept students right from undergrad. Start searching in all the areas you would consider going to school and check the admission requirements. Then make a big list and go from there!