Title Change Investigation email from AAPA

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

I can't ever remember a time when the majority of the profession was against name change particularly 3 years ago. I suspect your PA was perhaps reflecting their own opinion.

Some have been against it. Many were ambiguous. Most were in favor

"Discussions about the title of the PA profession are almost as old as the profession itself. In recent times, the issue has been debated at the House of Delegates (HOD) at least three times since 1998, including at the 2012 HOD, when a proposal to create a taskforce to consider the issue was ultimately voted down, and again in 2015."

https://www.aapa.org/career-central/physician-assistant-pa/

This is pretty interesting actually, that video is the first I've heard directly from the firm that was hired to conduct the title change investigation. 

Here is a link for those who don't want to have to dig through their emails: https://www.aapa.org/title-change-investigation-resources/?utm_source=newscentraltopas&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tci 

Interestingly, you do NOT have to be an AAPA member to get the survey that the firm will be sending out in March about the title change. I encourage every PA on this forum that is interested in moving the profession forward to take a few moments to update your info, or to create a free account if you aren't a member. That way when the surveys are sent out next month, we can have as many voices heard as possible. 

Let's keep this momentum rolling!

On 2/25/2019 at 6:52 PM, sas5814 said:

Ahhh the HOD. Got it. I was thinking "man on the street". 

I wasn't particularly interested in the AAPA until the last couple of years and this would be one reason why. They have had a real awakening and the current leadership is doing great stuff.

NP's are getting preferential treatment in some places with no need to pay physicians extra for supervision and other administrative bullshiit. We should have passed OTP years ago. I guess late is better than never

3 hours ago, ArmyVetDude said:

NP's are getting preferential treatment in some places with no need to pay physicians extra for supervision and other administrative bullshiit. We should have passed OTP years ago. I guess late is better than never

At this point late is all we have.

A conscious decision was made years ago to tie ourselves firmly to the physicians because they would always control medicine and they would reward our loyalty. Things changed and we were very slow to change in response. 

Recriminations aside....we need to move forward as fast as we can and all of us need to stop bitching and start working on these issues. It makes me pull my hair when someone complains about a bunch of stuff and then says "someone should fix this." YOU....YOU should help fix it speaker!

Death By A Thousand Cuts

5 hours ago, Joelseff said:

I didn't get the emailemoji53.png

I posted the link above above, as I imagine a lot of people may have overlooked the email. The email I got was titled "Boosting PA Visibility in 2019" and it wasn't purely about the Title Change Survey; it also had information about other PA advancements like the ad campaign the AAPA and NCCPA are doing this year and legislative updates for 2019 (like the new bill to authorize direct pay to PAs from Medicare). 

I posted the link above above, as I imagine a lot of people may have overlooked the email. The email I got was titled "Boosting PA Visibility in 2019" and it wasn't purely about the Title Change Survey; it also had information about other PA advancements like the ad campaign the AAPA and NCCPA are doing this year and legislative updates for 2019 (like the new bill to authorize direct pay to PAs from Medicare). 
Good looking out! [emoji106] I found the email using the search terms "boosting PA visibility" it was from a "Carrie Munk" at AAPA.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, mmiller3 said:

At the rate we are changing our profession, we might as well just change our name to "DNP Assistant".

lol

Once NP's obtain independence in Cali, all other states will follow. More NP's will open up their outpatient health clinics and we might have to ask them to hire us, lol.   this is a very likely possibility. We have to act fast to put ourselves on even footing

I support the name change, OTP, and pretty much anything that pushes our profession forwards.

I have been searching for a new job for months now and one of the primary reasons I've been turned down for "NP or PA" jobs has been because I am specifically not an NP. If I get the opportunity to explain what an NP and PA are and what PAs are capable of (Not to mention the amount of professional training we receive) I'm usually met with a blank stare and the questions "Well, we want someone who can be independent. You need a doctor don't you?" *UGHHH* Or, I don't even get the chance to explain.

Sincerely,

A very frustrated PA

The fact that we NEED to have some physicians supervising us but NP's do not, makes us seem less reliable and skilled to most administrators and public. Like it or not perception is reality.  What I hear often is, well why don't NP's need to have physicians go over their pt encounters and notes but y'all  PA's do? Is it because PA's are less trained and reliable and hence need closer supervision? We can try to convince them all we want how our education and training is superior to NP's and so on, but we get quickly squashed as mere "ASSISTANTS" acting better than what we actually are 🙄

It pisses me off seeing so many PA's  get disrespected like this in the hospitals. and they just shrug it off. This is really sad

Guest Paula

AAPA goofed up by sending the announcement buried in the email.  I got two emails, one from Ann Davis to the CO leaders and the other from Carrie Munk.  I emailed Carrie and requested that AAPA send the video link and update as a stand alone email.  I haven't heard back and it probably got sent to her junk box.  So I am going to post the request on Huddle.  Huddle has the video link but the thread is closed for any discussion.  I wonder why?  

My initial impression was negative as I took the you tube video as a warning shot that the marketing firm is telling us we are not going to get the title change.  She did kind of smirk....like she was saying...."what the heck are you assistants thinking anyways?  You are assistants and you think you DESERVE a title change???"  Uh, so I'm a little negative but my state  (WI) was one of the sponsors of the resolution for title change investigation.

I think it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about our title modernization nor should any  non-PA be surveyed about the change.

I mean, after all, it's OUR title.  We should be able to do what we want and is best for us.  Why do they have to survey physicians and employers?  Nurse administrators will just vote NO. Physicians will get all territorial and prevent any advancement of the PA is my prediction.

As one of my colleague said  about the survey:  The only question that should be asked is:

How many PAs will stop paying dues to AAPA if title modernization fails?  

AAPA goofed up by sending the announcement buried in the email.  I got two emails, one from Ann Davis to the CO leaders and the other from Carrie Munk.  I emailed Carrie and requested that AAPA send the video link and update as a stand alone email.  I haven't heard back and it probably got sent to her junk box.  So I am going to post the request on Huddle.  Huddle has the video link but the thread is closed for any discussion.  I wonder why?  
My initial impression was negative as I took the you tube video as a warning shot that the marketing firm is telling us we are not going to get the title change.  She did kind of smirk....like she was saying...."what the heck are you assistants thinking anyways?  You are assistants and you think you DESERVE a title change???"  Uh, so I'm a little negative but my state  (WI) was one of the sponsors of the resolution for title change investigation.
I think it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about our title modernization nor should any  non-PA be surveyed about the change.
I mean, after all, it's OUR title.  We should be able to do what we want and is best for us.  Why do they have to survey physicians and employers?  Nurse administrators will just vote NO. Physicians will get all territorial and prevent any advancement of the PA is my prediction.
As one of my colleague said  about the survey:  The only question that should be asked is:
How many PAs will stop paying dues to AAPA if title modernization fails?  

I agree Paula. Only PAs and I suppose PA-S should be surveyed. This is ridiculous. Employers and physicians are unlikely to support a change and IT IS NOT THEIR PROFESSION!!! This is bananas.

I'm very disappointed in the direction they took this on. Though I'm holding out hope that this will move us forward, I am fearful that this will be like the last time we looked at title change in 2012 I think. That just fizzled out. Except this time we are spending a lot of money to be disappointed.... [emoji853]

Guest Paula

WPP is a British company so they certainly should know about British Physician Associates.  I wonder if they research globally about PA title or PA-like titles used by international cohorts of ours? Feldshar/Clinical Officers/Physician Associates/Barefoot Doctors?

11 hours ago, Joelseff said:

We can make up a name like how real estate agents became Realtors if they paid dues into the National Realtor's Association.

I guess we could be "Medicators!" hahahahaha maybe not...

There was a concerned post in the Huddle about , What if WPP doesn't recommend a title change. Then what? the title change is must. It is equivalent to the US fighting in a war and being okay not to come out as a winner. There should be no other option but to win. Win (change the Title) or Bust

Are we going to just box ourselves in as "FOREVER ASSISTANTS" and destine ourselves to be future employees of NP owned clinics? 

Can someone clear this up; but I was at the AAPA conference last year and could have sworn that WPP was going to present findings in CO 2019. Now it is 2020 they will present findings?  Was I just so excited to hear potential change was coming and missed this or was there a delay that occurred?

Guest Paula

wdtpac:  It's a 2 year process.  This year WPP is to have a report to share with the HOD and then in 2020 will share their final results.  So it seems the next step is the survey that will be sent out at the end of March for all of us to answer.  My sense is the survey results will be one of the reports they will have ready for HOD this year. .  I'm assuming they will share the initial research they did too.

Then in 2020 they will make their recommendation and we will have to vote on it and decide how to direct the AAPA BOD to implement whatever we decide. 

So, in my mind, if WPP recommends no title change the question the HOD will need to answer is :  How many members will AAPA risk alienating if we get no title change and is it the end of the profession as a viable medical profession?  Will we be supervised by NP's since we are assistants?   ( I will remain hopeful for title change and will be anxiously waiting to hear the 2019 HOD report)

Archived