Per Diem "Cough & Snot Clinic" Salary Thoughts

Hi all,

I'm trying to get thoughts on what I should counter for a non-benefited W2 position in retail medicine. 

A little background: I'm young in my PA career and have been in rural family medicine for 1.5 years. I've been seeking per diem positions for a while now (I'm single with no kids in a VERY small town and I'm starting to get cabin fever LOL) and was finally offered one at a nearby hospital that has these types of clinics. These are the same ones you would find at a pharmacy with a very limited list of conditions that patients can come in for e.g. URIs, UTIs, Imms. The patients make the appts at least 1 day ahead of time so there are no walk-ins and the schedule is scrubbed by the MA and by provider to do the best possible in making sure more complex cases go to their urgent care or ER. So, compared to me following chronic conditions and multiple co-morbidities at my FT job, I imagined that this would be relatively easy peasy. 

The job:

Weekends 8AM-8PM with a one hour paid lunch.
No benefits (NBD because my FT job has excellent bennies)
Patients are scheduled on 20 minute slots
Work with one MA who will work the front and back office 
Salaried. About $53.40 per hour

Hospital was bought a few years ago by a bigger entity located in 3 states. I was told they are planning to get about 50 more clinics instituted across those areas in the next few years. I mention this because on the phone interview the recruiter said the salary was set across the organization. So I'm a little hesitant to ask for more but the practice manager on the in-person interview verbalized to me how badly they need providers.

I think I will be asking for more (worse they could do is say no, right?) but what would be a fair counter offer? As a comparison, I make significantly more than this at my FT job but that's because of my bonuses. This is in the PNW with low COL.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

in my neck of the woods they would pay a new grad 65/hr for this...

Thanks for your response! I remember you cross state lines for work. Is this around where you're working or where you live? Any chance you would name the group who offers that (probably through PM)? 

• 1 month later...

Archived