Hello,

I am a new grad in New England with a background as an x-ray tech who just got an offer for an IR position. Base salary of $100,000, Monday-Friday days only, no call, 40 hours per week, $2500 for CME per year, no sign on bonus. I'm trying to figure out if this is a reasonable offer or if I should counter (if so, how much?). I would really appreciate any advice!

Edited by PACT5678

Is there a productivity bonus? PTO? CME days? Retirement? Health insurance cost? Life/disability insurance? Malpractice insurance?

26 days of vacation/sick per year and 6 holidays. Retirement and  health insurance are comparable for the area. No productivity bonus. Unsure about the malpractice insurance. Thanks!

That offer is soft. 

I was offered $105k straight out of school in a significantly lower CoL area with similar PTO, a meaningless bonus, and 100% paid for benefits and a strong match for my 401k and my background is not in radiology  That was before any negotiation I passed on it because I didn’t want to live in the city where the offer was at  

The PTO is nice admittedly, but I imagine they take holidays out of that?  If so that is 16 days a year, which isn’t bad, but isn’t great. 

You have a relevant background in a procedure heavy job that daily exposes you to ionizing radiation in a high CoL region of the country. They need to be doing better than $100k a year. You could get that in an ER or UC without difficulty. I’d counter with $110-115k, if not more

Edited by anewconvert
  • Upvote 1

New England does not pay as well despite high CoL. Sounds like a pretty solid offer to me when my classmates are making between 92-104k in various fields.

I just started a radiology job at $135,000 with a $5k sign on bonus as my first job out of school. 6-8 weeks vacation, bonuses, no call and partnership after 2 years if things go well. Also in NE. I also have my RT and RA/RPA certifications. I had other radiology offers, one of which was $92,000 after 6 months at $85,000 in my home state. Saturday coverage was needed, plus call and lots of driving between different hospitals. A state with a low-moderate COL and a tough, saturated market in the area I wanted. My job search there was defeating and I was forced to look elsewhere. Originally wanted to do something outside of radiology as my first job out of PA school. That didn't pan out so it's back to barium for me 😕

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:05 PM, RadAssPA said:

I just started a radiology job at $135,000 with a $5k sign on bonus as my first job out of school. 6-8 weeks vacation, bonuses, no call and partnership after 2 years if things go well. Also in NE. I also have my RT and RA/RPA certifications. I had other radiology offers, one of which was $92,000 after 6 months at $85,000 in my home state. Saturday coverage was needed, plus call and lots of driving between different hospitals. A state with a low-moderate COL and a tough, saturated market in the area I wanted. My job search there was defeating and I was forced to look elsewhere. Originally wanted to do something outside of radiology as my first job out of PA school. That didn't pan out so it's back to barium for me 😕

Wow, thats a great starting salary. I shadowed a few IR PAs while in school, however, did not find any jobs near me.