january 2013

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW... I live in Tampa. USF is a nice campus (huge undergrad population with a dedicated medical school that feeds Moffitt Cancer center and Tampa General Hospital, along with other medical facilities in the area. There will be an abundant number of rotation sites for you..... That being said I know nothing of the new program or faculty, but they should be able to draw from a qualified selection of professionals

Hey guys! I'm a current PA student at South University - tampa. The school is really great and the professors are awesome. The campus is small and we mainly stay in one or two classrooms for the majority of the day, but it's not so bad after you get used to it. We did just get reaccredited for 6 years a couple months ago so that's exciting. One thing that sets South apart from the other schools is that we start in January. That was a big deal for me because most other schools start in august of the following year. We also do something called ALE which stands for applied learning experiences. This allows us to go to clinics a couple times a quarter to shadow and work with PAs in the field. This helps to let you get some hands on experience prior to rotations in the second year and is not done by all PA schools. Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to respond quickly and good luck! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to hear from some more students at South University's Tampa location. I only applied to three schools (South U. Tampa, Barry U. St Pete, and Nova Ft Myers) due to my wife being in medical school in the area. I spoke with a PA who had a word of caution re: South U. as he used to work in Tampa and had PA students rotating through under him...he said the South U. PAs were generally less prepared than the Barry or Nova folks. While I realize this is only one person's perception, I'd be curious to see what the second year students have to say: do they feel adequately prepared?

How is the administration? Do they seem responsive to the needs of the students?

On a separate note, do many of the students commute very far to get to class?

Thanks!

I'd love to hear from some more students at South University's Tampa location. I only applied to three schools (South U. Tampa, Barry U. St Pete, and Nova Ft Myers) due to my wife being in medical school in the area. I spoke with a PA who had a word of caution re: South U. as he used to work in Tampa and had PA students rotating through under him...he said the South U. PAs were generally less prepared than the Barry or Nova folks. While I realize this is only one person's perception, I'd be curious to see what the second year students have to say: do they feel adequately prepared?

How is the administration? Do they seem responsive to the needs of the students?

Thanks!

Thanks!

While I can't speak for that particular PA, from what I've heard around the community, the preceptors have been very happy with their experiences with our students. I will also say that prior to 3 months ago, we’d only had one class actually go out on rotations and that was our inaugural class that just graduated in March. There is definitely a learning curve and the teachers are constantly making adjustments to improve the learning experience and to make our students more prepared. For instance, we have started learning documentation and diagnosing procedures sooner, in response to feedback from students. As far as feeling prepared goes, I don't know if anyone ever truly does. I would say that the class ahead of mine felt confident but nervous because you never know what you're going to get in a rotation experience. The administration is great and they really care about the students. That is one of the huge positives about the Tampa program. They’re all there to help, have open-door policies and the vast majority of professors are amazing teachers. Quite a few of the students from my class commute up to about 45 minutes each day for classes. The only problem with the commute is that we get out of class at 5 relatively frequently and you may find yourself in rush-hour traffic more often than you'd like. My stats were GPA - 3.5, GRE - 1170 I believe. I had approximately 150 volunteer hours at Moffitt cancer center with no direct patient-care experience and I shadowed a local PA both in surgery and recovery. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!

While I can't speak for that particular PA, from what I've heard around the community, the preceptors have been very happy with their experiences with our students. I will also say that prior to 3 months ago, we’d only had one class actually go out on rotations and that was our inaugural class that just graduated in March. There is definitely a learning curve and the teachers are constantly making adjustments to improve the learning experience and to make our students more prepared. For instance, we have started learning documentation and diagnosing procedures sooner, in response to feedback from students. As far as feeling prepared goes, I don't know if anyone ever truly does. I would say that the class ahead of mine felt confident but nervous because you never know what you're going to get in a rotation experience. The administration is great and they really care about the students. That is one of the huge positives about the Tampa program. They’re all there to help, have open-door policies and the vast majority of professors are amazing teachers. Quite a few of the students from my class commute up to about 45 minutes each day for classes. The only problem with the commute is that we get out of class at 5 relatively frequently and you may find yourself in rush-hour traffic more often than you'd like. My stats were GPA - 3.5, GRE - 1170 I believe. I had approximately 150 volunteer hours at Moffitt cancer center with no direct patient-care experience and I shadowed a local PA both in surgery and recovery. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Hello, I'm on my second round with Miami-Dade, the first round I had trouble with their very odd admission test, second round made it past a very broad and unpredictable admission test, went to interview (which went very well) but still didn't get in. I have a 3.65 cum and sciences gpa, solid letters of recommendation (PA, MD, Prof, supervisor, personal), 250 hours of volunteer (at the hospital), nearly a year of shadowing in both general and cardio thoracic surgery, and I've been working for a hospital for over 2 years, most recently as a patient rep in the ER which is also a level 1 trauma center. I work directly with patients, physicians, nursing staff, etc on a daily basis and answer to all level 1 trauma's that come in (which has been excellent expsure) but don't hold a license or certificate of any kind. So I have no idea what in the world MDC is looking for because I'm as passionate as you can get about this career, and extremely prepared for the rigors of the program and dedication needed. I didn't have my bachelors which is why I was applying to MDC (they have an AS program), however over the last 2 years of applying I've been working on my BHS and only about 1.5 semesters short of completion. Therefore I'm now going to hard target masters programs, one of which being South U - Tampa (among others). The only sciences I haven't taken are Chem II, Organic/Bio Chem, Genetics, and Biology II. I have taken all other sciences and labs, including med terminology, etc. So I'm quite interested in this forum specific to South U, Tampa but also from any out there that could give some advice or perspective and what my chances are in getting into a masters program next year (or the remote possibility of applying to South U for the January 2013 class??? Any input is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post :)

Hello, I'm on my second round with Miami-Dade, the first round I had trouble with their very odd admission test, second round made it past a very broad and unpredictable admission test, went to interview (which went very well) but still didn't get in. I have a 3.65 cum and sciences gpa, solid letters of recommendation (PA, MD, Prof, supervisor, personal), 250 hours of volunteer (at the hospital), nearly a year of shadowing in both general and cardio thoracic surgery, and I've been working for a hospital for over 2 years, most recently as a patient rep in the ER which is also a level 1 trauma center. I work directly with patients, physicians, nursing staff, etc on a daily basis and answer to all level 1 trauma's that come in (which has been excellent expsure) but don't hold a license or certificate of any kind. So I have no idea what in the world MDC is looking for because I'm as passionate as you can get about this career, and extremely prepared for the rigors of the program and dedication needed. I didn't have my bachelors which is why I was applying to MDC (they have an AS program), however over the last 2 years of applying I've been working on my BHS and only about 1.5 semesters short of completion. Therefore I'm now going to hard target masters programs, one of which being South U - Tampa (among others). The only sciences I haven't taken are Chem II, Organic/Bio Chem, Genetics, and Biology II. I have taken all other sciences and labs, including med terminology, etc. So I'm quite interested in this forum specific to South U, Tampa but also from any out there that could give some advice or perspective and what my chances are in getting into a masters program next year (or the remote possibility of applying to South U for the January 2013 class??? Any input is greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post :)

It seems like you have a good application and have done all the things that you should do prior to applying. You don't have to have your bachelors completed to apply so I would suggest just going ahead and applying this time around. The only problem you may face is the number of difficult courses you still have to finish before then, but your application seems pretty strong so they might look past the fact that you're not done yet. You can get accepted without having all of the requirements in on the condition that everything is completed before matriculation (January).

It seems like you have a good application and have done all the things that you should do prior to applying. You don't have to have your bachelors completed to apply so I would suggest just going ahead and applying this time around. The only problem you may face is the number of difficult courses you still have to finish before then, but your application seems pretty strong so they might look past the fact that you're not done yet. You can get accepted without having all of the requirements in on the condition that everything is completed before matriculation (January).

Archived