What are my chances? Here's the answer...

...No one knows. You're receiving moderately-educated guesses at best, and wild shots in the dark from internet strangers at worst. Even an adcom member can't give you a 100% reliable "chance" because each school is different. Your experiences, personal statement, school list, timing, and "fit" all play a role. Even then, adcoms make surprising decisions. It's not uncommon to be accepted to reach programs and rejected from "safety" schools. 

Instead of risking false confidence or misplaced defeat, ask yourself these questions instead:

Are my GPAs, both science and cumulative, competitive compared to this school's accepted student profile? If not, is the reason compellingly discussed in my personal statement? 

Does my transcript show that I have grasped the fundamental knowledge to succeed with intense, graduate-level medical science coursework? 

If there are weak areas of knowledge on my transcript, have I put in the work to turn those weaknesses into strengths?

Do I meet all the prerequisite requirements for each school on my list? If I have a questionable course, have I asked for clarification from the schools that require it?

Is my PCE (hours and type) competitive compared to this school's accepted student profiles? 

If my GPAs are below the accepted average, does my PCE surpass the average? If my PCE is below the accepted average, does my GPA surpass it?

Have I spent time making sure my experience descriptions are comprehensive and accurately convey what I've learned?

Have I scored at least 300 on the GRE (if I'm choosing to take it)? 

Do my other activities show deeper layers of my personality and interests? Have I taken on increasing responsibility as I've grown? 

If I've stated an interest in a specific area (for example, underserved or rural care), do my experiences show my passion for that area is genuine? 

Have at least three people agreed to write me an excellent letter? Do my references meet each school's requirements?

Does my personal narrative have an introduction that grabs the reader's interest? Do I "show" the qualities that will make me an outstanding PA, instead of just listing them? Do I show understanding of a PA's role? Does the conclusion convince the reader I'm ready for PA school? 

Have others read and enjoyed my narrative? Is it grammatically flawless?

Do I have an overarching passion or theme that ties my application together? Are my future goals guided by my experiences?

Am I a good "fit" at each school on my list? If an interviewer asks me why I applied to each school, what will I say? 

Do I have a game plan for applying? Have I set myself up for success by planning to apply early?

Have I thought beyond the finish line of getting a seat to the logistics, pressures, and potential loneliness of devoting the next 2-3 years to school?

Am I in a financial position to fund CASPA costs, interview expenses, seat deposits, and relocation expenses?

Am I in a financial position to afford PA school? How is my credit score? Do I have significant undergrad loans, car payments, mortgage payments, or other financial constraints? 

Does my family truly understand the time investment of PA school? 

Will my partner move with me if I relocate, or will we have a long-distance relationship? Are we both on the same page about these plans?

Can I confidently say I'm ready, not just for PA school, but for life as a PA?

Gratuitous link to my blog: https://emttopac.wordpress.com
Edited by nichole96
Mobile formatting
  • Like 22
  • Upvote 26

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny that I am reading a post on this topic as I literally just wrote a blog post on why this site, specifically the "stats section" creates an unhealthy mindset on applying to PA school. The stats section of this website created a lot of personal doubt for myself. Any applicants who are about to apply this upcoming cycle, have faith in yourself and apply early. Best of luck to everyone in late April. If you want to read my thoughts on my blog it is called www.the-adventure-pa.com The blog will document my 3rd year rotations to provide insight to pre-PA students. 

-Cheers

Cody

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, adventurePA said:

It's funny that I am reading a post on this topic as I literally just wrote a blog post on why this site, specifically the "stats section" creates an unhealthy mindset on applying to PA school. The stats section of this website created a lot of personal doubt for myself. Any applicants who are about to apply this upcoming cycle, have faith in yourself and apply early. Best of luck to everyone in late April. If you want to read my thoughts on my blog it is called www.the-adventure-pa.com The blog will document my 3rd year rotations to provide insight to pre-PA students. 

-Cheers

Cody

Personally for me,  it's because of the stats pages of those accepted that helped me to work on my shortcomings as well as how to separate myself from others. I am one of those on the lower end of the GPA sepctrum.

Either way, to the OP, thank you!!!! Just apply and find out! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, nichole96 said:
...No one knows. You're receiving moderately-educated guesses at best, and wild shots in the dark from internet strangers at worst. Even an adcom member can't give you a 100% reliable "chance" because each school is different. Your experiences, personal statement, school list, timing, and "fit" all play a role. Even then, adcoms make surprising decisions. It's not uncommon to be accepted to reach programs and rejected from "safety" schools. 

Instead of risking false confidence or misplaced defeat, ask yourself these questions instead:

Are my GPAs, both science and cumulative, competitive compared to this school's accepted student profile? If not, is the reason compellingly discussed in my personal statement? 

Does my transcript show that I have grasped the fundamental knowledge to succeed with intense, graduate-level medical science coursework? 

If there are weak areas of knowledge on my transcript, have I put in the work to turn those weaknesses into strengths?

Do I meet all the prerequisite requirements for each school on my list? If I have a questionable course, have I asked for clarification from the schools that require it?

Is my PCE (hours and type) competitive compared to this school's accepted student profiles? 

If my GPAs are below the accepted average, does my PCE surpass the average? If my PCE is below the accepted average, does my GPA surpass it?

Have I spent time making sure my experience descriptions are comprehensive and accurately convey what I've learned?

Have I scored at least 300 on the GRE (if I'm choosing to take it)? 

Do my other activities show deeper layers of my personality and interests? Have I taken on increasing responsibility as I've grown? 

If I've stated an interest in a specific area (for example, underserved or rural care), do my experiences show my passion for that area is genuine? 

Have at least three people agreed to write me an excellent letter? Do my references meet each school's requirements?

Does my personal narrative have an introduction that grabs the reader's interest? Do I "show" the qualities that will make me an outstanding PA, instead of just listing them? Do I show understanding of a PA's role? Does the conclusion convince the reader I'm ready for PA school? 

Have others read and enjoyed my narrative? Is it grammatically flawless?

Do I have an overarching passion or theme that ties my application together? Are my future goals guided by my experiences?

Am I a good "fit" at each school on my list? If an interviewer asks me why I applied to each school, what will I say? 

Do I have a game plan for applying? Have I set myself up for success by planning to apply early?

Have I thought beyond the finish line of getting a seat to the logistics, pressures, and potential loneliness of devoting the next 2-3 years to school?

Am I in a financial position to fund CASPA costs, interview expenses, seat deposits, and relocation expenses?

Am I in a financial position to afford PA school? How is my credit score? Do I have significant undergrad loans, car payments, mortgage payments, or other financial constraints? 

Does my family truly understand the time investment of PA school? 

Will my partner move with me if I relocate, or will we have a long-distance relationship? Are we both on the same page about these plans?

Can I confidently say I'm ready, not just for PA school, but for life as a PA?

Gratuitous link to my blog: https://emttopac.wordpress.com

I think this decision all depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a provider eventually or not. PA and NP is vastly different with NP school in general being far less competitive than PA. I know a lot of RNs that are currently in FNP programs and none had issues getting in first go.

All that being said you stats are not bad at all. Your hours are on the low side but that would change in a year. If PA is what you want I think giving it a real go for minimum two cycles is worth it. It took me three to land in the right place and the experience I gathered during that time is paying off now in school.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you interested in using a comprehensive tool to help you decipher through all the nuances of applying to PA school... check out: www.myPAbox.com (available on mobile phones, web based version coming soon).

They will help you organize your information for applying to PA school all in one place, including keeping track of your hours.  There is also a search where you can determine what schools you have the best chance of gaining acceptance into.  This really is an invaluable resource.  Please check it out.  For 15% off, use promo code: CARYNPA

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I wanted to Comment on What's My Chances...Its been said before and I'll say it again, no one except the school you are applying to will give you that answer.  I know its tough cause I had the same questions the same the same anxiety and struggled with the same issues.

So with that said...I will tell you If you have a school you want to go to,   APPLY!    (I did).

Some programs where I was well above the posted stats -  I was rejected without interview.

Some long shot programs that I thought would be a waste of time (and money) - I got an interview.

In the end, I was accepted at programs that I was well above, at or well below posted stats!

If you want something Go for it.  The worse thing they can say is NO.  But think of the opposite.  If you never applied cause you didn't think you had a chance you may have missed out.  Don't let anyone convince you or try to satisfy your anxiety by saying you have a good shot (and not get in) or tell you long shot and you don't apply (when you could have).  Each school is different and each evaluator wants to see different things.  Once that one evaluator spots something in your application, the rest is up to the interview.

My advice - Fail until you stop failing...It took me 3 cycles, a lot of rejections but this "PA Candidate" is now a "PA Student" at a program that NO ONE (including myself) thought I had a chance at...

You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take. 

Edited by PA-Candidate
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I don't always agree with this logic. I prepped hard in High School, I toured colleges (thanks parents), I looked at middle 50% accepted applicants and you know what? The data for me was just about perfect as a white female. 

The schools that I shouldn't have been accepted too (I wasn't) and the schools I was a middle 50% of better I was accepted too. So, all of this conjecture doesn't help me I would much rather see a data sets of accepted students based on GPA, shadowing hours, courses taken, rigor, etc in a huge database and compare.

Where is that link?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I came in here to ask a separate questions mainly about letter of recs but I was just gonna do a chance me thread just for the hell of it but then i saw this and i'm glad I did did.

Throughout my research, i find it's hard to say from the outside looking in who they will choose to be excepted and who isn't. You just have to be extra prepared and hope for the best (and don't apply for schools you don't think you'll get into because I don't know about anyone else but applying to pa school is A LOT of money and i don't have a lot of it). 

Edited by Christine616
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 2:52 PM, nictay3 said:

What are my chances?? I'm applying Spring 2022 so I expect my GPA to improve and obtain more hours.

cGPA : 3.35

sGPA: 3.32

nonscienceGPA: 3.35

postbacGPA: 3.57

Last 60 hr GPA: 3.51

PCE HOURS: 3267 (CNA 1035, CCMA 1633, ER tech 600)

VOLUNTEER HOURS: 210

SHADOWING HOURS: 56

Total years of healthcare experience by application: 3.5

I haven't taken the GRE yet.  I have great letters of recs but still nervous about my application. Any advice?

study for the GRE and try to get a good score because if you want to take it again you'll have to wait 21 days before you can. Some schools want everything completed before applying. You have the GPA, and patient care hours. So you're golden.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I have same question, is my GPA for my science classes can be a holding off factor? I do have a master degree from my home country in physiology of rehabilitation its something like OT with a grate GPA, some research and published article experience, a good GRE score, more than 12 yrs of pt care experience and I'm currently a medical scribe started 6 months ago, but my GPA on the pre req is bad like all "Cs", I thought since I just need to retake them to have a record in US, it's not very important so I was taking as much as I could to get it out of way, do u guys think it can be my red flag? 

Thank you in advance 🙂

• 3 months later...

What are my chances of getting in? 

• Cumulative GPA: 3.22
  • Science GPA: 3.29
  • Graduate GPA: 3.65
  • Graduate Science GPA: 3.65
  • Volunteer hours: 954
  • HCE hours: 1,004
  • PCE hours: 2,888
  • Shadowing: 136 

I didn’t take the GRE but my letter of recs were great and I had three people review my personal statement and they said it was good too. 

• 1 month later...

So I have done 3 cycles with interviews and no luck. I have a bs in biology which I earned from 2013 to 2017 I have done classes outside of my graduated university and certified ma I have plenty of hands on and volunteer . I am thinking about doing associates in RN while I do my 4th cycle for application.  Is that a good idea? 

There are 4 major components of your application:

• Grades: both overall and science specifically
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Personal statements
  • Interviews

Do you have any indication of which of these are your weak points?  If you're getting interviews but no acceptances, it may be how you do in the interview.  Fixing your weak points is key to getting accepted.  Getting your RN as an associates degree will help with paying the bills and with healthcare experience, but probably not with any of those 4 points.

Can you get any feedback from any of the schools that didn't accept you on what your weak points are?