What is your least favorite kind of patient?

The obnoxious patient that is offering you the opportunity to diagnose a disease although you are not a doctor. Their feelings of superiority are sometimes overwhelming and their smirk and response to your questions and then your diagnosis demonstrates that they were smart enough to rulke out the other causes that you have mentioned and then ask to speak to the real doctor. Its been a long time since I have personally experienced this but yet it is memorable.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, surgblumm said:

The obnoxious patient that is offering you the opportunity to diagnose a disease although you are not a doctor. Their feelings of superiority are sometimes overwhelming and their smirk and response to your questions and then your diagnosis demonstrates that they were smart enough to rulke out the other causes that you have mentioned and then ask to speak to the real doctor. Its been a long time since I have personally experienced this but yet it is memorable.

This is why they need to get rid of that "assistant" in our title. They disrespect us like we are just assistants or doc's secretaries

# 1.Those who tell me that their neighbor, friend or family member told them that the medicine they were prescribed isn't "what I was given for that" so they stopped taking it and want "what they got".

#2. The unruly dirty mob of children ( maybe it just seems like a mob)brought in for impetigo and "check their ears".

2 hours ago, CAdamsPAC said:

# 1.Those who tell me that their neighbor, friend or family member told them that the medicine they were prescribed isn't "what I was given for that" so they stopped taking it and want "what they got".

#2. The unruly dirty mob of children ( maybe it just seems like a mob)brought in for impetigo and "check their ears".

I once gave a lady Omnicef 300mg (I can't remember the condition). She was upset that her husband was given Amoxil 875 at the urgent care and his dose was stronger!!!  I can't even remember what I did, but I laughed about it for awhile.

My days are better at the VA - yes, challenging Internal Medicine patients with poly pharmacy but worth the challenge.

My least favorite private family practice patients were entitled - "I paid my copay, you give me what I want".

I have some folks at the VA who spend the first few minutes of their visit ranting about the VA and telling me how horrible it is and they "only come to keep their assignment". Hard to carry on once someone tells you that you suck, they have no confidence and will be mad the entire time. 

I try to count my small victories daily and grasp those moments when a patient tells me they feel better talking to me and maybe they will give me a chance. 

Wouldn't go back to private family practice at this point for anything - the mill of 25 patients a day in 10 minute slots - yeah, I am DONE with that.

My biggest problem patients (apart from the ones already mentioned)  are the scammers. The ones seeking secondary gains and oddball advantages through me.

For example, I had one patient who wanted me to write a note for them that said they couldn't work for the next year due to a little rib pain. The note was to get out of a job's training and return to work program being offered by the state. They were furious when I said I wouldn't/couldn't do that. In the end, I gave them the Social Security contact information and instructed them to apply for disability.

Patients asking for doctor's notes for companion animals. If there is a legitimate reason, sure. The problem is that I have never seen a legitimate case.  It is usually people just trying to bring a pet into an apartment.

Another would be my "medicalized" patients.

An example would be a patient that years ago had a provider who thought they may have RA and are now convinced they have it.  I have to explain that it was probably on their differential and it was tested for but that doesn't mean they have it.  The smoking and obesity are more likely culprits but they don't want to hear that.  So many patients seem to desperately cling to their perceived medical diagnoses to justify their unhappy unsuccessful lives. 

I'm not saying it is Munchausen syndrome because they often do have some issues. It is just that their whole identity seems to be wrapped up in a very tentative diagnosis and doing anything to actually redirect the issues and fix the problem is often met with stiff resistance.

Psych patients that present with vague non-linear complaints who can't be pinned down and can't be satisfied because they don't know what is wrong but often know what they want. The tangential conversations make me want to scream.

Disclaimer: I don't do well with psych patients in general. I'm too linear and literal and they are.....not.

1 hour ago, Reality Check 2 said:

Ok, I narrowed it down.

My worst nightmare patient is a borderline personality disorder female.

Yep, that is the one. Reality is optional and flexible and suicidal threats are a tool of the trade.

Yep, those suck.

Only have four women on my panel of a thousandl, the two I've seen are sane and elderly, and I haven't seen the other two.  Sounds like you won the lottery!

I've found mine: the one who says: I've tried nothing, and I'm all out of ideas.  

On 2/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, surgblumm said:

This. I can’t stand the patient that doesn’t trust a word I say because I’m not an MD. Had a pt with poorly controlled HTN the other day who didn’t want me to titrate one of his meds since I didn’t originally prescribe it. Yeah, I used to work in critical care cardiology....I think I can handle titration of antihypertensives. When he refused my recommendations I got out of there ASAP. Not gonna waste my time. 

33 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

and the gynecomastia from pot use isn't the weed either..... deep sigh

had a pt last weekend who said they were allergic to haldol. so we took them to the bar(benadryl/ativan/reglan) then got them a cab(compazine/ativan/benadryl)

Guest Paula
6 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

had a pt last weekend who said they were allergic to haldol. so we took them to the bar(benadryl/ativan/reglan) then got them a cab(compazine/ativan/benadryl)

have you ever just put them in a hot shower or bath?   

Guest Paula

The patient who comes in (again) for multiple complaints of fatigue and wants a full work up (again) and says "I know it's not my PTSD, depression and anxiety and don't you dare suggest I see a counselor".  

Full work up is negative (again).  Patients finally calls back weeks later and asks for a referral to mental health (so maybe the patient will finally become healthy!).

23 minutes ago, Paula said:

The patient who comes in (again) for multiple complaints of fatigue and wants a full work up (again) and says "I know it's not my PTSD, depression and anxiety and don't you dare suggest I see a counselor".  

Full work up is negative (again).  Patients finally calls back weeks later and asks for a referral to mental health (so maybe the patient will finally become healthy!).

In my experience, they keep coming back.  Over.  And over again, just knowing that I'm keeping the answer in a locked drawer in my desk.  Around the fifth or sixth time, they usually come with Dr. Go Ogle and a list of rare diseases that are a. highly unlikely, so not considered in the first place, or b. Made up diseases that use bizarre reference values on common labs, that "most doctor's don't even know about".

In fact, the made up diseases category deserves a whole topic in itself.  Chronic Lyme, fluorescent light syndrome, multiple drug sensitivity, adrenal fatigue...

37 minutes ago, Paula said:

have you ever just put them in a hot shower or bath?   

Last guy that we tried that with that kept drinking the shower water...then yacking it up...wash rinse repeat until we said "stay the phuque out of the shower, here's some stuff for you and stop smoking up".

The last part wasn't received well, since it couldn't possibly be the dope 🙄

The Perfect Storm
Borderline pot smoking Dr Google loving hypochondriac with a sister chiropractic naturopath allergic to all NSAIDs adrenal fatigue Chronic Lyme Dz Hypertensive Diabetic smoker with an FMLA form.......
At 4:30 pm.....
It has been a long day and I am a tad punchy
I think I saw this pt today! Hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've been getting a string of patients who are IN SO MUCH PAIN that they refuse to let me examine them. It's funny how quick they change when I tell them I'm just going to document refusal of examination and I therefore can only really "guess" as to what's really wrong with them. 

Archived