Re-applicant: How can I improve?

2nd time applicant 

sGPA 3.78

cGPA 3.24

PCE 7,500 as an operating room assistant. 

Volunteer 100 hrs, including a humanitarian trip to Uganda

GRE 309

I received 4 interviews last cycle. 3 of them were at top schools. No acceptances. Currently on 1 waitlist.

Plan for next cycle:

I already went to Uganda for the second time. I'm currently doing research assisting at the VA on depression and suicide.

Should I get my EMT certification? Should I retake the GRE?

Any feedback welcome!

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about getting an EMT certificate or retaking the GRE; your stats aren't the problem, your interviewing skills are. If you received four interviews but no acceptances, that's your common denominator. This year I'd set up as many mock interviews as possible and get feedback on how you come across. Videotape yourself if you have to, sometimes seeing how you act can help you realize what it is you're doing wrong. 

Guest HopeToBePAC

Your stats are fine and there's probably no need to re-take GRE or get EMT certified.

The issue is most likely your interviewing skills, as you got interview invites but no acceptance thereafter.

Here are some tips:

-Go on the websites of the schools you are applying to and look at their mission statements, their history, and any other important parts of their program. These topics may pop up in their interviews and you want to make sure you know them thoroughly. 

-Practice rehearsing answers to interview questions. Consider doing a mock interview with someone.

-Evaluate yourself. Are you looking the interviewers in the eye, coming across confidently, avoiding stuttering/mumbling, showing interest, etc? Did you feel good coming out of the interviews that you did attend? 

I would agree with what has been said above. Your stats are great. Your cGPA isn't stellar, but with a strong sGPA and significant PCE you have more than made up for that. Don't retake the GRE, you're well above the cutoffs for programs.

Your interview skills must be lacking. Have you reached out to the programs that have rejected you for feedback? If not, I would certainly do so. In this instance, a paid service might be appropriate. Your undergrad may also offer free mock interview services so look into that. 

Think about how you prepared for your interviews. Reevaluate your methods and come up with a new plan.

Your GRE is fine, don't retake. When you say OR assistant do you mean in a CNA type capacity, or as a surgical tech? I feel like your PCE must be fine if you're getting those interviews, so I don't think I'd recommend becoming an EMT. 

I agree with comments above - it's likely your interview skills. One of the best things for me was to just practice answering any typical question out loud at home, over and over and over (and over and over...). It'll get you comfortable talking about yourself, and help you figure out what you'd like to focus on when you answer questions. You'll feel like an idiot doing it (talking out loud to yourself about yourself is awkward for sure), but it really helped me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived