I have been looking into PA programs to figure out which ones to apply to in the upcoming cycle. For some schools I meet all their prerequisite coursework, but for other schools I am a class or two short. I did not take abnormal psychology or sociology in my undergrad program, but I took all the core classes most PA schools want to see. What I am wondering is if it is a bad idea to apply to programs where I am missing a prerequisite. Will schools still view my application if I don't have every prerequisite they want? I don't want to waste my time and money applying to schools if they won't even consider me. 

I have been looking into PA programs to figure out which ones to apply to in the upcoming cycle. For some schools I meet all their prerequisite coursework, but for other schools I am a class or two short. I did not take abnormal psychology or sociology in my undergrad program, but I took all the core classes most PA schools want to see. What I am wondering is if it is a bad idea to apply to programs where I am missing a prerequisite. Will schools still view my application if I don't have every prerequisite they want? I don't want to waste my time and money applying to schools if they won't even consider me. 

It varies. Many schools want to see your plan that will allow you to complete any outstanding prereqs before your PA program would begin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pre-Reqs are required.  If you haven't taken them or don't plan to take them, you're wasting your time and money by applying.

You CAN have them in process or planned if you're actually planning to do that.  

Programs have thousands of applications.  They won't waste their time by reviewing applications that don't meet all requirements (this includes age of pre-reqs, GPA, GRE, etc etc).

Guest HopeToBePAC

Most schools will let you have 1 or 2 prerequisites pending at time of application. Basically, they'll give you a certain time frame to complete it after submitting your open if you don't have it done, whether that be by the end of the year you apply or by matriculation. 

However, there are schools that want ALL prerequisites complete BEFORE applying. This is something you need to look for on the school's website, or call them and ask.

Like above posters have said, it varies program to program. Check with individual programs, and make your decision based on that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jewelmidori
      Wondering if anyone knows of schools with minimal or no credit expirations. Many schools require prereqs are taken within 5, 7, 10 years and I've retaken three courses thus far to meet most schools' requirements. Soon, more will fall outside of these ranges and it's exasperating to think I will have to pay out-of-pocket for more classes. I'll probably wind up retaking them, but I figure it doesn't hurt to put feelers out there if it means having more money dedicated to applications. 
    • By beccapolyack
      Hey, everybody! Fairly new here. I’ve been scrolling through other threads on this site regarding recommended online schools for prerequisite courses. A few of the threads are extremely helpful but several years old, so I wanted to start a more contemporary thread in case online school qualities have changed or there are any new ones. 
      I’m looking to take biochemistry and anatomy online. Ideally a low price would be great, but a self-paced online course is most important to me considering my current career and associated time restrictions. 
      I’ve been looking heavily at UNE for both courses but have heard mixed reviews. Any recommendations or suggestions based on your experiences, for UNE or others?
      Thank you so much!
      Becca
    • By jjr731
      It looks on their website and on the CASPA prerequisites page like you have to take anatomy&physiology I and II...is this true? I took a separate human anatomy class and a physiology class - they weren't combined. I don't want to apply if this will not fulfill the requirement. Also, it says "Two semesters of human anatomy & physiology with laboratory (from a biology, physiology, zoology department, or an allied health program)"...my courses are from my school's kinesiology dept...will this not work?
      Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.  
    • By feistymango
      Recently, I decided to pursue the PA route and need to take Anatomy/Physiology 1 and 2 with lab and Microbiology with lab. One of the schools require Immunology/Virology too (Did anyone need to take this class for their prerequisites?). I graduated with my bachelor's and currently working full time. I am having difficulty finding a class I can take that fits with my work schedule. I was able to sign up for Anatomy/Physiology 1 at a local community college, but unable to sign up for the rest due to time conflict or not available at other community colleges. Can anyone suggest alternatives in how I can compete these pre-requisites? Not sure if courses meant for "Health Science Majors" or "Allied Health Majors" are the same for science majors which is required for the schools I plan to apply for. Thanks in advance!!
    • By PerspiringPA
      I have completed my bachelor's degree in Biology, but since I was pre-med back then, I didn't complete the anatomy and physiology course and now have to complete it at a community college. I also have a full time job and was hoping to take anatomy and physiology in a hybrid setting (online lecture with in person lab). Is this a good idea? I've been looking at schools websites and some don't care, some said "considered on an individual basis," and some won't accept it. Am I limiting my chances too much? I want to apply mostly west coast and surrounding states.  I also have to take statistics and I hope to apply for Fall 2020.
      Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More