ecugrad2018

Which School?

I found out I have been accepted into two great programs, LIU in NY and Methodist in NC. I am so excited, but I am nervous because I am not sure which school is best for me. I currently live in NC and love the prospect of going out of state and I loved LIU when I went to NY. I love that they start clinical practice in as little as 4 weeks, and I also love that they have interprofessional learning experiences, among other things.

I have made a pros and cons list, and it seems like Methodist has more pros overall, but I am really fighting with the fact it is in NC as I have lived here my whole life (which is not a bad thing, I’ve just always wanted to travel).  

Methodist had tons of information online and I would have so many great opportunities. Great facilities, wonderful faculty, ALOT cheaper, close to family, opportunity for international rotation etc.. When I left Methodist, I was so surprised at how much I liked it. It seems like besides the location, it’s pretty near perfect. I had such a great time at my interview and it has made this choice 100% more difficult! Haha! 

LIU’s website does not really have a ton of information and it was my first interview so I didn’t know all of the things I wanted to ask at the time. We toured around the campus, but I did not really get to see the classrooms, the cadaver lab, the clincal rooms like I did at Methodist. I have read some reviews on the University as a whole and alot of them are pretty negative and that’s why I’m concerned. 

Is there anyone that could help shine a light on my situation. I would love to hear from current or previous students of LIU and Methodist, or anyone who can give advice on someone looking to live in Brooklyn for the first time. Methodist seems like the obvious choice right now, but I am interested in getting more information about LIU before making a decision. Is LIU worth picking up and moving my life (and spending way more in tuition and living expenses). Please understand I am SO thankful for both opportunities, I hope I am not coming off as whiny, I really am just trying to figure what the best decision for me is and could use some advice. 

Thank you so much for any advice/recommendations! 😊

14 hours ago, ecugrad2018 said:

ALOT cheaper

I have edited your post to include all of the pertinent decision-making points in this case 🙂

• Like 2

Go where your heart is telling you.  You said Methodist has more pros but you still want to go to LIU then DO IT.  You only get to go to PA school once. 

I moved 1,000 miles away  to a super expensive small, liberal arts college for undergrad when I could have stayed at home and gone to a state school for 1/16th of the price. I'm still paying off my student loan debt and I don't regret it at all.  I can't put a number on the experiences I had at the school that really spoke to me. 

• Like 1

I don't have experience living in Brooklyn, but I live very close to NYC (about 10 min from the gwb on the Jersey side). Brooklyn is a nice area, but the city in general is very expensive. If you like a change of pace and scene, then go for LIU. You can always commute to the campus from some place that is more cost-effective but you would have to factor in commute time and transportation, etc. You'll always have access to the subway if you're living in the city. Location was important for me when I chose my PA program, for both the study environment (my school is on a college campus so I have access to the same resources as the undergrad), cost of living, and possible job opportunities, so those are something to think about as well. As always, go somewhere where you feel you will have a superb education and experience. From the looks of it, you should go with Methodist. Best of luck!

• Like 1

I understand the draw to move and experience a new city, but I'd suggest staying in NC for multiple reasons - the main one being that you like the program so much. I moved across country to a new city for PA school, and while I like the city I'm in, I hardly ever get to experience it. I'm at school/studying constantly, and when I take the occasional night off, we usually stay in because I'm just so excited to relax (and am usually exhausted). I'm still in didactic (and I do expect this to change somewhat during clinical year), but my point is that you'll care a lot more about the quality of your program than the geographic location once you're in school. 

• Like 1

Wow, thank you all for your great advice! I wasn’t expecting all of the feedback, so I really appreciate it! Although it was a tough decison, I have officially accepted to join the Class of 2021 at Methodist University!! As much as I loved NY and LIU, there was something about Methodist that made me feel like I belonged there. 

I agree with you all on thinking about the cost of tuition and living expenses. I want to be able to completely experience NY and all it has to offer, and I believe being on a student budget (and schedule) will not allow me to do those things. I think that moving to a big city is definitely in my future, but for now I like to think I’m tucking it away for awhile and will pull it back out once I am able to afford experiencing it the right way!

I am so excited about Methodist and all of the opportunities I will have there. The faculty and current students are amazing, the facilities are very nice, and I loved the overall atmosphere. I also have so many connections here in NC that I would not be able to utilize if in NY, and I think that would be a shame.

Thank you all again for the advice, it was a tough couple of days going back and forth, but in the end I know I have made the right decision!    I’m ready to begin my journey!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1