Sending applications to rolling schools first and then sending it to non-rolling schools later?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has ever sent an application early on the cycle to rolling schools first, waited a couple months, and then sent their application to non-rolling schools later in the cycle (before all deadlines)? Is this even possible or does CASPA not allow it? If you can do it, can you edit/add to what you initially put in the application that got sent out early in the cycle or does CASPA "lock" the details in your application, so to speak?

I plan to send in my application around June because I will finish all my prereq classes and get my grades by then. However, if it's possible to edit your application after you send it to some schools, I wanted to work more hours/shadow/volunteer etc. from June until October (since I won't be a full time student anymore), add that extra experience to my application, and then send it out to non-rolling schools before the November deadline.  I hope 5 months of extra time would make my application more competitive than what it would be early in the cycle.

Can anyone clarify if this is ok/possible? Thank you!

Guest HopeToBePAC

I believe you can do this, to a certain extent. After you've submitted your application, you can still add programs whose deadlines haven't passed. Directly from CASPA: "Updates you can make include: adding new test scores, experiences, achievements and/or certifications, if applicable (you are unable to edit or delete existing entries)..." 

So it is possible, you just need to be sure you're doing it right. Check out this link for more information on what exactly you can/can not do: https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Before_and_After_You_Submit_Your_CASPA_Application/6_Updating_Your_CASPA_Application

Keep in mind that 'non-rolling' admissions doesn't necessarily mean they wait until the deadline to review apps.  Applying early to these programs is beneficial as well.

Anecdotally, my program holds 1 out of 4 of their interview dates PRIOR to the deadline. And they are not rolling admission.  Rolling admission just means they usually wait until all interviews are over to decide on applicants, doesn't mean they won't start evaluating and interviewing prior to deadline.

FWIW I think applying 4-5 months earlier would be more beneficial than waiting to add hours to your app.

I did this when I applied. Most of the programs I selected were rolling, but I had one program that had a deadline in September and did not review applications prior to that deadline. I choose to apply to that program later in the cycle.  

In CASPA, you cannot edit or change existing entries. Your application can be updated in the sense that you can add new entries for your hours or personal experiences. Grades can be listed as in progress and updated later with a letter grade.

I would reach out to programs you are planning to apply to directly or search their website to better understand how they will be reviewing applications and make your decision once you're fully informed about each school's process.

I would recommend trying to apply to programs as soon as you finish the application regardless of rolling or non-rolling. They often look through profiles in the order they receive them even for non-rolling schools. The only exception would be in regards to those with supplemental application pieces. Start by finishing the general CASPA information and personal statement, letters of rec, etc. Then work on completing any of the online supplemental CASPA questions that are specific to the programs you are applying to - not all programs have supplemental questions on the CASPA portal so you can submit for those programs first. After that I would prioritize finishing supplemental forms for schools that are rolling followed by those with earlier deadlines. As you finish each applications supplemental questions you can then submit them. I tended to do them in batches of 2-3 since mine were mostly non-rolling.

Archived