Sign in to follow this  
Contigo75

College sports as an Extracurricular

I played division 1 football for 4 years. Can this be added under the experiences section in CASPA? It really helped to shape me as a person and also the teamwork aspect of the PA profession is something that really appeals to me because of my background in the sport, so I think it should be included but just wanted to get input from others. 

Yes you should absolutely highlight that experience; I think it would go in the section for extracurricular experiences. In addition to all of the benefits that come directly from playing sports (learning teamwork, discipline, leadership, commitment, etc), it's also a time-suck from your studies that other students don't have. This means you can use it to show that you learned how to balance a large time-commitment on top of your academic schedule -- this can either help to highlight your good grades (being able to keep your grades high on top of playing sports), or in some cases may help explain a slightly lower GPA (since the practice/travel/game schedule takes substantial time away from studying). It won't make up for a poor GPA, but may give a little boost to your app if your grades are just average. 

Also, if playing team-sports really did factor in to your decision to be a PA, you can highlight how in your personal statement. I did this in mine, albeit with my time in the Army instead; I talked about how being part of a team and working in a team environment was important to me, and how I'd already built qualities that allowed me to work effectively on multidisciplinary teams while I was in the military. Working as part of a team is built into the PA profession, so using this approach allows you to show that you have these qualities without explicitly saying it, and also helps to answer the question of why you chose PA over other healthcare professions. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Lynn96981
      Hi Everyone! 
      I have a question that I HOPE someone on here has experienced and can help me out with an answer! As you know, many schools allow for one or two prereqs to be in progress when applying, but some require all to be completed prior to CASPA submission. My question is, if I put all my info into CASPA and say my course is in progress then submit to the programs that allow in progress submissions, can I then change that course to say completed or indicate that its not in progress any more and submit to the program that requires all to be completed once I'm done with the course? Or is there some way that they would know its completed, because the transcript submitted prior won't have that in progress course on there and I don't know if I need to request another transcript be sent to CASPA. Or, if one program has already been submitted and in the process of being verified then it voids all access to any of the academic materials that I would edit/add for other programs that have not yet been submitted. Would I need to contact the program and directly send them another copy of the transcript showing completion of the course? I know many programs say not to send them anything directly. I've contacted CASPA and they aren't answering my question to my satisfaction, but I'm sure one of you lovely people can.
      Thank you in advance!
    • By SG4215
      I could not find a feed for Indiana State so I decided to start one to talk with those that may apply there this cycle. 
    • By Sthapa
      Hello everyone,
      I will be applying to schools this cycle and I am beyond excited and nervous.
      I just wanted to create this group to share our progress so far and where we're at in terms of application timeline.
      Feel free to share your experiences, thoughts and any questions.
      Let's help eachother out! Goodluck everyone 🙂
    • By pinellimj
      Hi everyone,
      1) I am new to this forum and I have a question pertaining to transcript entry. I just graduated from college (BS in Psychology), but prior to entering university, I was dual-enrolled with a local community college while I was still in high school. I have 21 credits that were taken prior to entering my freshman year as well as 6 additional credits taken from the same community college the summer after my freshman year. I added that community college to allow myself to manually add my classes to that transcript, but I am not sure what to put for "academic status" since most of those credits were taken prior to my freshmen year at university and the drop down does not have a "pre-college" option. Does this make sense? 
      2) After watching the video on the sidebar, I am also a bit confused on what to do since I retook a course. Do I manually add both grades into my transcript, or just add the first grade, and then click to review and finalize my transcript, and then add the new grade I got when prompted if a retook any classes? 
      Thank you in advance for any help!
    • By Shypierce97
      Hello, I am trying to calculate my caspa cGPA and sGPA and I know AP credits aren't included in the calculation but I was wondering if anyone knew if post-secondary classes are which are classes I took in highschool at a community college near me? Thank You!!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More