Should I apply this cycle/do I stand a chance?

Hello! I know this post is stereotypical and repetitive and I apologize, but feedback would be very appreciative 🙂 Stats are below, should I apply this cycle? Or wait till next year? I’m currently on my first gap year. 

cGPA: 3.7, sGPA 3.6 bio major with minirs in psych and chem, in 3 national honor societies (psych, bio, chem), academic award in my major, Dean’s list every semester

Presented original research at 2 colleges

By mid march I will have about 1000 PCE hours as an EMT

I also started a per diem HCE job as a patient sitter in the ED. 

GRE is between 295-299 (can’t remember exact number), thinking of retaking

If it helps, during college I have about 120 hours as a volunteer crew member for my school’s EMS unit

If I’m forgetting something, let me know! Again thanks so much, I know how annoying these posts can be sometimes and I appreciate you taking the time to read this 🙂 have an awesome day! 

Guest HopeToBePAC

Everything looks spot on except your GRE. You need to at least get a 300; I'd recommend a re-take. Otherwise, you know this, you SHOULD apply this cycle! 

You've got a good shot this cycle.

Definitely retake your GRE. No reason to apply with a sub 300 score and limit your program choices if you think you can do better. I recommend the Magoosh online subscription for studying. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By EMT0409
      Hello everyone, 
      starting a thread for the new Canisius College PA program. I am currently applying to the program and wondering if anyone has heard about the program overall, or professors/admin. Anyone else applying and nervous about the provisional accreditation? Hoping this program turns out well! Starts January 2021. 
    • By Mopac
      Hi all. Our EM practice is in the works of developing a head PA/NP position (manager in a sense). Currently we have a liaison who is a physician-but the physician wants to turn it over to the APPs. Since this is a new trial process for our group, I wanted to reach out and see what the job description and stipend/benefits your group gives to the PA/NP who is essentially "in charge" of the APPs at your practice. If you could tell me the type of practice you work in, location (state), job description for head APP (rough expectations), and stipend/benefits for that position I would greatly appreciate it. 
    • By emrose4242
      Hi! I was recently accepted into a program that I didn't think I would be too fond of, but I ended up falling in love with the program! I am interviewing at my original top choice on the 13th, and I have been having a hard time deciding what school I would choose if I were to get in to this other program as well. I would love to hear what current students think. School A (the one I have already been accepted to) is a 1 hour commute, ( I can't afford to move or get an apartment, I am lucky enough to live with my boyfriend who pays the mortgage). This is the biggest downside to this school. I don't know how commuting an hour both ways, 5 days a week, will work with the course load. School B is a 30 minute commute. School A is also about $15,000 more expensive. The reason I justify price is that this program is 28 months, which is 4 months longer than school B (where I am interviewing on the 13th). I love that the clinical rotations are 5 weeks, instead of 4 at school B. There are also 2 elective clinical sites and school A, as opposed to only 1 at school B. They are both very new programs so they're pretty comparable when it comes to everything else that I've looked into!

So my questions are:
      1. If you have a long commute to your PA program, do you regret it/how do you like it?
      2. Will 1 additional week in each clinical site and 1 additional elective make a difference/ is it worth the $15,000 additional?
      3. Will I get to the 24 month point at school A and wish that I went to school B so that I could be finished already?
      Thank you so much for any input you all can provide!!
    • By SouthUStudent
      Should I go back to Medical school AFTER becoming a PA?

Specialties interested in: Internal or Emergency Medicine

Here are my personal thoughts:

I don't like to disparage my profession, but the way we learned medicine was through memorization of algorithms and buzz words. We were not taught the basics of science from a molecular level working upwards. We basically skipped step 1 and went straight into step 2 clinical knowledge. Doctors can see and understand things we cannot. And make connections that we cannot. I think this is what I am craving for. To be that kind of an “expert.” To understand medicine at that level and solve complex cases. I think the funny stereotypical word for this is “mental masturbation” or “intellectually stimulating” haha. I have the personality type of being the best in whatever I do. I feel limited in that sense as a PA.

Financially, I would say I am kind of lucky. I wouldn’t normally tell this to people, but just to give you guys an idea of my situation. I actually don’t have any loans or interests at the moment after PA school. I paid out of pocket. But I was given some personal loans from close families and friends. I do have to pay them back eventually, but there is no time limit. And they would understand if I decide to pursue medical school. I would still have to take the MCAT, apply, do interviews, and then start the following year (this could take 2-3 years; here I could work as a full time PA and save money for medical school). The medical schools in my state are $100k for 4 years. Which is not bad compared to the crazy $200-400k type of other medical schools.

For family life, wouldn’t it still be possible to have? Instead of working 8 hours a day, I would be studying or going to lectures. And then spend time with my family. Especially since I am not a typical pre-med student. I will be entering with a stronger background knowledge from PA school. However I do understand that the residency years will take a huge toll on my work/life balance for 3 years. (My mom or future wife would still have an income during the 4 years of medical school).

But at the end of it all, won’t I truly be knowledgeable in a field of medicine, from basics to advanced. With the reward of earning a higher income and becoming a doctor (not what I’m going for, but still a benefit). I will be done around age 35 and can work 30 more years until 65. Won’t the money gain as a doctor in that time cover any expenses I had? And then be able to teach the next generation as well, confidently. I have a desire to teach as a professor at PA or MD/DO programs. And precept as well.

This is my current thought process, BUT if you guys think that I am delusional or crazy, please call me out on it! Give me reasons why staying as a PA from age 26 will be better for my life in the long-run. And to not make the mistake of going to medical school for 7 years, with unnecessary stress. I want to hear both sides and arguments really well.

How different is the autonomy in internal or emergency medicine between PA and MD/DO? Can I learn step 1 on my own while working as a PA, and be just as knowledgeable and happy? Or is the in-depth training of medical schools and residencies unmatched? And no amount of clinical experience as a PA can ever replace that? (I have my own thoughts of course since I have done clinical rotations, I just want to hear from what you guys think).

***Here are some more of my thoughts that I just private messaged someone:***
      Thank you so much for replying, I really need guidance in my life. I am confused and don't know WHAT path is actually WORTH taking.
      I love medicine. I have grown super passionate about it. I also love academia. I watch a lot of medical school vlogs and wish I went through the rigorous schooling like they did. PA school felt like a joke to me. It was mainly memorizing buzz words, without understanding the "why's". 
      Now, I know I can learn the why's using third party resources on my own - like sketchymedical, boards and beyond, pathoma, premade anki decks, etc. However, if I am going to do that, why not do it through medical school and get rewarded with prestige, money, and autonomy? 
      But that does come with its cons - such as a losing lost income as a PA, family time, and basically life. For 7 years. 
      I am interested in Internal medicine (hospitalist) or Emergency Medicine. What I want to really know is if there is a huge difference in autonomy, day-to-day job/tasks, etc. Because if it's 90% of the same job, then I am not sure if 7 years of medical school is worth it for me. I know people recommend PA to MD if you want to go into either surgery or a specialization of some sort. 
      Basically, is 7 years of medical school worth it for me (I am single and 26 years old; I only need the MCAT to most likely get into this DO program in my home city; this way I can be with family and friends and not miss out on life events). It seems like a fun journey to me, something that I would look forward to.
      But there is this other easier, more convenient, and relaxing path - which is to remain as a PA and practice medicine. Earning a six figure salary. Living life. And also studying step 1 material with the resources I mentioned earlier.
      *sigh* Do you see my dilemma here. Like what is the right path for me - in terms of happiness, life, money, etc. 
      If I were to redo my years of schooling, I would 100% choose medical school. But because I finished PA school and am interested in specialties that might not be that different as a doctor, is it worth it? Because I do realize I will have to go through numerous standardized examinations - MCAT, Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 3 CS, and residency boards. Also the stress of interviews, applications (both initial and for residency), research papers, etc.
      Or will I always regret not going back for medical school?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More