Is there value in shadowing an NP?

Hi all, 

I'm preparing to apply this 2019-2020 cycle. Thus far, I've shadowed PAs in the following specialties: cardiology, pediatrics, ER med, ortho. 

There is an oncology NP at the hospital that I work at who is willing to let me shadow. Do you think there is value in shadowing an NP and placing it on my application? I don't have much free time/days off so I'm not sure if I want to spend time shadowing a NP (if it would look better to shadow more PAs instead). 

thoughts? 

Thank you! 

Hello, 

I applied with about 60 hours of NP shadowing, and only 16 hours shadowing a PA. In one interview, they asked to clarify and I discussed how shadowing an NP helped me understand "person-based" care, which is also a fundamental quality of a PA, and how PA and NP both utilize many of the same qualities of patient care. Definitely include any NP shadowing on your CASPA. I ended up getting in to both schools I applied to.

Hope this helps 🙂 

Guest HopeToBePAC

I'd say shadowing any medical professional helps. Shadowing a PA is more vital, but since you already have that down, adding NP shadowing hours definitely wouldn't hurt. It'll also help you solidify your answer on why PA over NP, if you were to be asked that question as they are both similar level medical professionals. 

Archived