Going Back To Private Practice GI! Buh bye Corporate FP!

We had a recent (last year or two) change in management at my place. Before this we had clinical persons manage our practice and it was a pretty good place to work. Pay was very competitive if not the highest for the area and we had great benefits. We also had a team culture and excellent collegiality among all staff regardless of level.

The switch though involved purging of said managers through forced retirements or flat out letting good managers go. This definitely changed morale. I had some issues with my new manager about stupid non clinical scut work I was assigned and a lack of support for me given how I was one of the busiest providers (Doc or APP) iin the organization. The manager was rigid and unwilling to offer any help my way.

That made me actually start looking for a new job and while I was at it, presented an opportunity to leave Primary Care-Finally!. I have a GI/Hepatology background so I decided on GI but was open to other specialties.

I was surprised how in demand we really are. I went on several interviews and got some call backs etc. Some of the salaries were kind of weak but having experience gives a lot of leverage at the bargaining table.

Anyway, I accepted an excellent offer from a respected GI Practice near me and resigned yesterday! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I feel liberated! Hahaha bye Corporate medicine...bye Primary Care metrics! Lol.

I start in April. Gonna give 4 weeks because my CP is a good guy and I consider a friend but will take a little vacay before I start.

My point in posting is if you are in a rut or are in a bad practice, workplace etc., go and start looking. You never know what you will find. I recommend reading "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Spencer Johnson.

Now I gotta review GI/Hep! Gonna use my CME hours form my current job on GI topics! Lol. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

CONGRATS! 
I too, am very much over corporate Family Medicine. Had a great interview with an independent doc today. There IS life after endless data entry work to satisfy insurance companies and bean counters (aka FM)

Again congrats.

Yes most definitely! Wish you the best in your job search.

awesome. what will the new job entail? will you be doing scopes, hep c consults, cirrhosis, etc I know some GI practices pigeonhole the PAs toi a specific dz (our practice's hep C guy, cirrhosis guy, hemorrhoid guy, etc). 

I will have my own panel. All GI issues and Hepatology. No limits except no scopes. The docs scope. I am not sure if PAs can do colonoscopies and EGDs in CA but I think we can do flex sigs. I do anoscopies now in FP. We do have an endo suite so all the docs scope (upper and lower) there. The pt load is about 50% my current pt load and there are bonuses for avg pts per day above 10/day. (I am used to seeing 18-20/day now).  

8 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Sounds like “a pain in the butt” role to me. There, I said it. Ba-da-bing.

they asked me to train for it and I said " I can deal with a$$holes all day long in the ED, why take this job? " (the answer was $88/hr in 2001, but I still didn't do it).

1 hour ago, EMEDPA said:

Kaiser runs a colorectal clinic in the pacific NW staffed entirely by PAs who only do colonoscopies and deal with hemorrhoids all day long. They have something like a six month training period first.

OMG how does this run with out a PHYSICAN around, that this pure myth. there MUST be a PHYSICIAN around if there is medical procedures being done....

I gave notice at my job one week ago from a corporate family medicine job.  I just couldn't take it anymore.  We are  moving to a new city to be close to family. I got a job with a private practice clinic that is cash only and no corporate structure at all.  

I gave 60 day notice, didn't tell them I have a new job, and got a little push back for not giving the 90 day notice.   What are they going to do....fire me?   LOL.  I can start anytime at my new job cuz there is literally no 90 day waiting period while all the credentialing paperwork gets done (because there's no need for it....we are cash only!!!).

Corporate medicine needs to die a painful death. 

... Corporate medicine needs to die a painful death. 

This 1000x over!

Congrats Paula on your move! Unfortunately, the current climate prevents, or at the very least, makes it very difficult for private practices to thrive unless they are cash pay or concierge. Insurances and CMS control the "practice of running a practice." Too much focus on maximizing billing/compensation and getting QIP bonuses (I understand though that this is often necessary for PCPs to make a decent living after amassing astronomical debt due to costs of schooling and living expenses).

Same goes for PAs. I read an article about PAs recently stating that PA new grads amassed an avg of 100k in debt while getting jobs sub 100k.

Archived