Options other than PA school, science B.S.

This year acceptance didn't happen, while i like the PA profession a lot time is being wasted trying to get in. What are good options for those with bachelors degrees completed.  The type of work honestly does not matter to me right now so it could be in a completely different field..although, i am aiming at approx $70,000/yr within 2 years of schooling.

Right now all i have is:

Nursing, Genetics Counselor, Some sort of health care administration/management..

You need a masters degree at a minimum for genetics counseling.  You need a nursing degree (or some kind of certification) for nursing.  Probably need some kind of management degree (MBA, MHA) or at the very least management experience for admin.

So if you're willing to go back to school, you've got options.

Not sure what your B.S. is in (I'm assuming biology of some kind).  If that's the case, the "best" options are research?  Sales?  That is to say, there aren't good options.  With a generic B.S. you almost always need some other degree or training to land a decent career, at least in my experience.  $70k is awfully lofty without further education at this point, and even with it.

You have been chasing a goal for years. If you are changing directions, take a little bit of time to see what’s next for you. Do some research, talk to your school’s placement office, meet some of last year’s graduates from your program, etc.

It’s ok to pause and regroup for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.

I was in the PA discussion forum and came across the thread about PA to pharma research...that helped me find some interesting options available, possibly with even just a bio degree.  

Nursing, if there is a fast track seems like a good option. Maybe if there are others interested i can share what i find in the next couple days.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, Ryanseacrest said:

Thanks for the responses.

I was in the PA discussion forum and came across the thread about PA to pharma research...that helped me find some interesting options available, possibly with even just a bio degree.  

Nursing, if there is a fast track seems like a good option. Maybe if there are others interested i can share what i find in the next couple days.

There's accelerated bsn options 15 months for a second bach

If you are looking make good cash with your bachelors (and not progress onto a master's degree) I would work for Epic. Though you may have to travel a lot, the pay is good.

That being said, I don't think you should give up on your dream after one try. I don't know how old you are, but putting in the effort to obtain a master's degree in something you love will be worthwhile, both in pay and in attitude towards work. Short term gratification never lasts long.

29 minutes ago, panglossian said:

If you are looking make good cash with your bachelors (and not progress onto a master's degree) I would work for Epic. Though you may have to travel a lot, the pay is good.

That being said, I don't think you should give up on your dream after one try. I don't know how old you are, but putting in the effort to obtain a master's degree in something you love will be worthwhile, both in pay and in attitude towards work. Short term gratification never lasts long.

so you would have them go from being a PA school applicant to someone who is loathed by every medical provider they ever meet....:)

(epic is the devil. 20 years of regular use and I still hate it).

so you would have them go from being a PA school applicant to someone who is loathed by every medical provider they ever meet....:)
(epic is the devil. 20 years of regular use and I still hate it).

Maybe so, but it beats the pants off paper charts in the hospital (and don’t get me started on Cerner)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love cerner for the ER. I learned the system in 1 day better than I knew epic after 15+ years at that point. The whole chart is chronological, just like an actual encounter. start at the top, fill in the sections, and you are done. labs and xrays populate into the chart, rxs and instructions are easy.

I like Electronic T- system also.

I will grant you that meditech is worse than epic, but they set a pretty low bar.

Archived