amiculum

Dismissed from PA Program, looking to reapply?

Hello everyone,

I was recently dismissed from my PA program. I was about 3 weeks from graduation. I failed 2 rotations due to not meeting the technical standards and because the preceptors evaluated me as being comprehensively 'Below Expectations.'

I have done a lot of reflection in this time. I understand there were mistakes that I made during rotations that caused me to fail. I'm interested in reapplying because I have what it takes, I made it through 2.5 years of PA school before getting dismissed. I unfortunately was having health issues with my eyes and vision that caused a decline in my performance towards the end of clinical rotations, but was not allowed the option to withdraw at that point of the second rotation failure.

Does anyone know the likelihood of another school accepting me, is it even heard of? I know two people who were reaccepted into PA school after getting dismissed during didactic phase, but not during the clinical phase. I had a 3.2 GPA in PA school and 3.7 GPA in undergrad, I'm 25 years old. Please, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much

Is there no remediation option or ability to repeat the failed rotations? I think your best chance is to work through the program you were attending, if possible. 

• Upvote 1

It's not common and frankly not likely.  If your current program won't even work with you that's not encouraging.

You'll have a very rough go of it.  Even if you were able to withdraw when you wanted, you'd still have a lot of explaining to do.

Only you can decide if it's worth the time and financial commitment to apply again knowing the odds are against you and pay for PA school a second time (if you happen to get a second chance).

• Upvote 1

Were your health issues causing you to miss important details regarding the patient? Have your health issues gotten better? If so, have you spoken with the program that you were dismissed from? 

On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, amiculum said:

Hello everyone,

I was recently dismissed from my PA program. I was about 3 weeks from graduation. I failed 2 rotations due to not meeting the technical standards and because the preceptors evaluated me as being comprehensively 'Below Expectations.'

I have done a lot of reflection in this time. I understand there were mistakes that I made during rotations that caused me to fail. I'm interested in reapplying because I have what it takes, I made it through 2.5 years of PA school before getting dismissed. I unfortunately was having health issues with my eyes and vision that caused a decline in my performance towards the end of clinical rotations, but was not allowed the option to withdraw at that point of the second rotation failure.

Does anyone know the likelihood of another school accepting me, is it even heard of? I know two people who were reaccepted into PA school after getting dismissed during didactic phase, but not during the clinical phase. I had a 3.2 GPA in PA school and 3.7 GPA in undergrad, I'm 25 years old. Please, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much

You've gotten some very good advice above.