Dismissed from PA Program, looking to reapply?

Hello everyone,

I was recently dismissed from my PA program. I was about 3 weeks from graduation. I failed 2 rotations due to not meeting the technical standards and because the preceptors evaluated me as being comprehensively 'Below Expectations.'

I have done a lot of reflection in this time. I understand there were mistakes that I made during rotations that caused me to fail. I'm interested in reapplying because I have what it takes, I made it through 2.5 years of PA school before getting dismissed. I unfortunately was having health issues with my eyes and vision that caused a decline in my performance towards the end of clinical rotations, but was not allowed the option to withdraw at that point of the second rotation failure.

Does anyone know the likelihood of another school accepting me, is it even heard of? I know two people who were reaccepted into PA school after getting dismissed during didactic phase, but not during the clinical phase. I had a 3.2 GPA in PA school and 3.7 GPA in undergrad, I'm 25 years old. Please, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much

Guest HanSolo

Is there no remediation option or ability to repeat the failed rotations? I think your best chance is to work through the program you were attending, if possible. 

It's not common and frankly not likely.  If your current program won't even work with you that's not encouraging.

You'll have a very rough go of it.  Even if you were able to withdraw when you wanted, you'd still have a lot of explaining to do.

Only you can decide if it's worth the time and financial commitment to apply again knowing the odds are against you and pay for PA school a second time (if you happen to get a second chance).

• Administrator
On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, amiculum said:

Hello everyone,

I was recently dismissed from my PA program. I was about 3 weeks from graduation. I failed 2 rotations due to not meeting the technical standards and because the preceptors evaluated me as being comprehensively 'Below Expectations.'

I have done a lot of reflection in this time. I understand there were mistakes that I made during rotations that caused me to fail. I'm interested in reapplying because I have what it takes, I made it through 2.5 years of PA school before getting dismissed. I unfortunately was having health issues with my eyes and vision that caused a decline in my performance towards the end of clinical rotations, but was not allowed the option to withdraw at that point of the second rotation failure.

Does anyone know the likelihood of another school accepting me, is it even heard of? I know two people who were reaccepted into PA school after getting dismissed during didactic phase, but not during the clinical phase. I had a 3.2 GPA in PA school and 3.7 GPA in undergrad, I'm 25 years old. Please, I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much

You've gotten some very good advice above.

How did they measure the technical standards? If your preceptor evaluation binding, or can your advisor overrule this? It may help to understand what mistakes these were and why they were so great for your program to not work with you. I agree with the above as well, it would be quite a battle to explain this to another program.

Also - the problem with vision. It's difficult to fully understand what went on, but if this is something that can be fixed, that may be some ammunition for you if you do try another program.

Most programs (and the underlying colleges) have an appeal process. You could try that. Trying to go with a new school is risky as they might have legitimate concerns that you could have trouble getting through their program as well.

Waiting until you're in deep trouble to declare a health problem was probably not the best approach.

Good luck.

Wow thats crazy but I have recently been through the same thing you are currently going through. I am going to give you a modified version of my story from post I typed up earlier:

I was recently in a PA school and had to withdraw from my program. I failed a few classes during didactic and had to repeat the year. After completing didactic year, I started rotations. I did well on my 1st rotation and passed the EOR exam. However, during my 2nd rotation, I had some personal issues to deal with. Unfortunately, I was not in the proper mental state to focus on PA school so I had to request a leave of absence before I took my EOR exam. The problem was that I already signed a contract with my program that had a stipulation that claimed that if for some reason I was unable to continue my education, I would have to voluntarily withdraw from the program without having the ability to go through an appeal process. So that is exactly what I did. The program director said I could reapply to their program however there is no guarantee I will have a seat. He even said that it would be difficult for other PA schools to accept me and would have to consider other career options.

From personal experience, I would advice trying to appeal their decision. Try talking to the person highest in power at your program, whether its the Chair or Program director. My situation is a little different because I've exhausted my academic options. But you can 

I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. I was depressed and dejected. But I got over it quick because I knew what I had to do since I've been at the bottom before. Look, its going to be an uphill battle with a lot of naysayers and rejections. I've learned to think practically and have realized that there NO 1 path to becoming a PA or whatever practitioner you desire to become. Most importantly keep on doing something that keeps you in the game. Continue gaining healthcare experience or working part time or something to pay off your loans. Don't just sit, do something!

best of luck to you fellow comrade. Please feel free to reach out to me by direct message. 

Archived