Jump to content

2019-2020 cycle applicants. Let's talk!


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

I will be applying to schools this cycle and I am beyond excited and nervous.

I just wanted to create this group to share our progress so far and where we're at in terms of application timeline.

Feel free to share your experiences, thoughts and any questions.

Let's help eachother out! Goodluck everyone 🙂

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had meh GPAs, solid PCE, and applied to 16 programs last cycle. I was stunned to get interviews at 10, attended 8, was accepted to 7, and am starting at my top choice in May. I strongly feel those a

Hello everyone, I will be applying to schools this cycle and I am beyond excited and nervous. I just wanted to create this group to share our progress so far and where we're at in terms of a

Hey all!   Not an applicant this year, but was a first time applicant this past year and am attending school in the fall 🙂 Few things I want to share that I would've loved to know and that a

Posted Images

Not sure if I will be applying to this cycle or not (hopefully not), but just preparing myself if I don’t make it into a school this cycle! It was my first cycle applying and I applied to 4 schools, having 1 interview so far, and I haven’t heard back from the others yet. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hello! 

I'm applying this upcoming cycle as well and I am SO nervous! 

My questions are, how do LORs work (do I just give them the CASPA link) and when should I ask for them if I am submitting my apps at the end of June? 
Would April be too late to ask for LORs? 

Thus far, I'm working as nursing assistant at a hospital (FT) and PT at a nursing home. I am taking the GRE in a few days (eep!) and have a few PAs lined up to shadow (always looking for more to shadow, of course). 🙂 

Edited by youngbreezy
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest HopeToBePAC
59 minutes ago, minnesotaprepa said:

I'm already stressing myself out. 😩 I'm planning on applying to ~16 schools. 

That's a lot of schools. I'd say you don't really increase your chances much after 10-12 schools. I think I saw one of your previous posts and you're already a strong applicant. I'd narrow that down but it's entirely up to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HopeToBePAC said:

That's a lot of schools. I'd say you don't really increase your chances much after 10-12 schools. I think I saw one of your previous posts and you're already a strong applicant. I'd narrow that down but it's entirely up to you.

I thought I was a strong applicant as well but only received 3 interviews, applied to 11 schools. To be honest apply to as many schools as you can afford to, you don't want to go through the process twice

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest HopeToBePAC
1 hour ago, Earlthe said:

I thought I was a strong applicant as well but only received 3 interviews, applied to 11 schools. To be honest apply to as many schools as you can afford to, you don't want to go through the process twice

It only takes one. You might not have applied to the right schools, or schools you'd be a good candidate for. You could apply to as many as you could afford, but if you applied say to 15 schools and ended up getting interviews at 8 you might not even attend all those, get in your top choice, etc. and it'd be a waste of money too. To each their own though! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a career changer (teacher) applying this upcoming cycle! I'm currently an ED tech and loving it. I'll be taking the GRE at the end of March and am trying to narrow down my list of schools so I apply to ~10 schools. I'm so excited & nervous. Looking forward to getting those applications in! Good luck to everyone! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm applying for the first time as soon as the CASPA opens in April! Graduated with my bachelors in '17, spent a year as a med tech to pay off my student loans and get 2,200 hours of HCE. I got a job as a med surg PCA back in May and I'll have about 1,800 of PCE by April. Planning to apply to ~15+ schools (I really want to get in somewhere!). I'm in CT so I'll be applying to a lot of northeast schools, would love to know if anyone in my area has plans to attend any open houses!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 4:37 PM, HopeToBePAC said:

It only takes one. You might not have applied to the right schools, or schools you'd be a good candidate for. You could apply to as many as you could afford, but if you applied say to 15 schools and ended up getting interviews at 8 you might not even attend all those, get in your top choice, etc. and it'd be a waste of money too. To each their own though! 

I had meh GPAs, solid PCE, and applied to 16 programs last cycle. I was stunned to get interviews at 10, attended 8, was accepted to 7, and am starting at my top choice in May. I strongly feel those applications were not a waste of money - even interviewing at schools I ended up disliking prepared me for interviews at schools I loved. Seeing how different programs were designed helped me clarify my priorities vs preferences.

For applicants this cycle, I'd encourage you to develop a list of schools where you're a good fit - consider both accepted student stats and mission - and only apply to schools you could truly see yourself attending. Think about tuition costs, cost of living, research requirements, rotation sites, cadaver lab, primary care preceptorships, etc. No school is perfect but you don't want to apply to a school where you'll be absolutely miserable for two-three years.

Feel free to PM me with any questions! I'm not an adcom so I have no idea what your chances are, but I'm happy to look at personal statements/give tips on making a school list/etc etc. Good luck to everyone!! 🙂

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
I had meh GPAs, solid PCE, and applied to 16 programs last cycle. I was stunned to get interviews at 10, attended 8, was accepted to 7, and am starting at my top choice in May. I strongly feel those applications were not a waste of money - even interviewing at schools I ended up disliking prepared me for interviews at schools I loved. Seeing how different programs were designed helped me clarify my priorities vs preferences.
For applicants this cycle, I'd encourage you to develop a list of schools where you're a good fit - consider both accepted student stats and mission - and only apply to schools you could truly see yourself attending. Think about tuition costs, cost of living, research requirements, rotation sites, cadaver lab, primary care preceptorships, etc. No school is perfect but you don't want to apply to a school where you'll be absolutely miserable for two-three years.
Feel free to PM me with any questions! I'm not an adcom so I have no idea what your chances are, but I'm happy to look at personal statements/give tips on making a school list/etc etc. Good luck to everyone!! [emoji846]

Can I PM you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, youngbreezy said:

My questions are, how do LORs work (do I just give them the CASPA link) and when should I ask for them if I am submitting my apps at the end of June? 
Would April be too late to ask for LORs? 

I like your username 🙂 Ha. Yes, you'll submit the recommender's (is that a word?) information on CASPA. CASPA then sends them an email with instructions/link to submit their LOR. Is there a reason that you're planning to submit at the end of June? I'd say the earlier (with a thorough app of course) the better. You can ask your recommender to start writing your LOR early (I'd say this is a good idea, maybe a month early) but you can't send them the email from CASPA until the app opens in April. 

@hmmmm3 No, there aren't any specific questions to answer. They do recommend that you have specific people (a professor, a PA,...) submit an LOR for you, but CASPA doesn't require it. Some of your schools may have specific requirements for LORs though so be aware of that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all!

 

Not an applicant this year, but was a first time applicant this past year and am attending school in the fall 🙂 Few things I want to share that I would've loved to know and that also helped me out during the cycle:

1) APPLY EARLY - this is coming from someone who applied a few days before many of the deadlines (oops). The earlier you apply, the better your chances.

2) Applying late DOES NOT mean that you're not going to get invited to an interview -- just gotta be extra impressive in an interview, especially if you're interviewing the last/later dates they hold interviews

3) ASK FOR LOR'S IN ADVANCE! This is just common courtesy to those writing you one and will allow them to write you the best one possible. Also, pick people that know you well and have worked with you. Don't pick someone you shadowed twice -- I mean, you can, but they can't really attest much to your personality, work ethic, etc. I found meeting up with those I asked (who I hadn't seen in a while) and catching them up on my goals/aspirations/plans and current work situation was very helpful, adds a personal touch, and was also fun for me as I got to catch up with them, as well.

4) BE YOURSELF in interviews -- to be honest, I minimally prepared for interviews and I think that actually helped me as I did not sound so rehearsed. Of course make sure you have an answer to commonly asked questions so you don't sound like a fool (ESPECIALLY PREPARE FOR THE TELL ME ABOUT YOUSELF QUESTION -- no one wants a rambler who has no idea what facts to throw in this open-ended question -- and to know what a PA is and why you want to be one). Also, know what your strengths are and be confident in why you are a good applicant for PA school.

5) Interact with other interviewees - this will put you at ease, but also help you stand out among the other candidates as it shows you are friendly and personable

6) Don't dominate Q&A times, but also make sure to interact with staff and current students - I can say that in a few of my interviews, there were people that were too dominant during Q&A time, to the point that I felt I couldn't even ask a question because they were constantly blurting out questions rapid fire or raising their hands every 5 seconds. I have a hunch this probably is detected by those interviewing as well and these people may come off a bit too strong. However, do make sure you interact some with students and staff so you convey your interest in the program.

 

That's all I've got off the top of my head -- let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to try to answer!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!  I am applying for the first time this cycle, and I am extremely nervous. I def am on the lower end of GPA wise. My PCE is over 6,500 (medical assistant, nursing asst and home health aid.) Volunteer wise I have about 1,000 (tutoring disadvantaged kids from inner cities) and 2 medical mission trips in Africa..My LOR will be coming from MD, PA, Anatomy professor and NP.

 

I want to apply super early I'm talking latest, early June. However, I will have 2 courses pending. Should I finish the courses (summer courses that finish in august) then apply. Or just apply with courses in progress. I want to maximize my chances at an interview and I always see on these forums to apply early. Is it possible to get an interview if I have for example A&P ll pending? (retaking it cause I didnt do well first time around. I would greatly appreciate any answers. I am kinda anxious about the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, laurennicolem said:

I'm applying for the first time as soon as the CASPA opens in April! Graduated with my bachelors in '17, spent a year as a med tech to pay off my student loans and get 2,200 hours of HCE. I got a job as a med surg PCA back in May and I'll have about 1,800 of PCE by April. Planning to apply to ~15+ schools (I really want to get in somewhere!). I'm in CT so I'll be applying to a lot of northeast schools, would love to know if anyone in my area has plans to attend any open houses!

I’m not sure I’m going to be applying next cycle yet because I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple schools (waitlisted at one and another hasn’t started interviews). I’m from MA/NH and applied to Northeast schools and if applying next cycle I will be again!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sipmebabyonemoretime said:

Hi all!  I am applying for the first time this cycle, and I am extremely nervous. I def am on the lower end of GPA wise. My PCE is over 6,500 (medical assistant, nursing asst and home health aid.) Volunteer wise I have about 1,000 (tutoring disadvantaged kids from inner cities) and 2 medical mission trips in Africa..My LOR will be coming from MD, PA, Anatomy professor and NP.

 

I want to apply super early I'm talking latest, early June. However, I will have 2 courses pending. Should I finish the courses (summer courses that finish in august) then apply. Or just apply with courses in progress. I want to maximize my chances at an interview and I always see on these forums to apply early. Is it possible to get an interview if I have for example A&P ll pending? (retaking it cause I didnt do well first time around. I would greatly appreciate any answers. I am kinda anxious about the situation.

I have this question also. I personally am leaning towards finishing out my classes then applying. I had one program in Texas tell me that the more pending courses, the least competitive you are. Sigh 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, sipmebabyonemoretime said:

Hi all!  I am applying for the first time this cycle, and I am extremely nervous. I def am on the lower end of GPA wise. My PCE is over 6,500 (medical assistant, nursing asst and home health aid.) Volunteer wise I have about 1,000 (tutoring disadvantaged kids from inner cities) and 2 medical mission trips in Africa..My LOR will be coming from MD, PA, Anatomy professor and NP.

 

I want to apply super early I'm talking latest, early June. However, I will have 2 courses pending. Should I finish the courses (summer courses that finish in august) then apply. Or just apply with courses in progress. I want to maximize my chances at an interview and I always see on these forums to apply early. Is it possible to get an interview if I have for example A&P ll pending? (retaking it cause I didnt do well first time around. I would greatly appreciate any answers. I am kinda anxious about the situation.

Hey there, I am applying this cycle for the first time too! I am nervous as well! I will be applying to a few programs that require organic chemistry, which I will not be taking until this fall. I emailed the programs and they stated that I can still apply and just make sure to have the classes completed before the summer before I would begin the PA program. I hope that helps! Or if you are unsure, maybe reach out to the programs and see what they suggest!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, Ejohns20 said:

I like your username 🙂 Ha. Yes, you'll submit the recommender's (is that a word?) information on CASPA. CASPA then sends them an email with instructions/link to submit their LOR. Is there a reason that you're planning to submit at the end of June? I'd say the earlier (with a thorough app of course) the better. You can ask your recommender to start writing your LOR early (I'd say this is a good idea, maybe a month early) but you can't send them the email from CASPA until the app opens in April. 

@hmmmm3 No, there aren't any specific questions to answer. They do recommend that you have specific people (a professor, a PA,...) submit an LOR for you, but CASPA doesn't require it. Some of your schools may have specific requirements for LORs though so be aware of that. 

@Ejohns20lol. Thank you! 😃 

Hope u don't mind me asking, but how do I ask someone to start writing me a LOR before the CASPA portal opens up (without them knowing what questions will be asked on CASPA)? Should they write a personalized letter, and then complete specific CASPA questions? Sorry, I'm just clueless as to how LORs work on CASPA and a bit anxious about the whole thing. 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By kkay113
      I am a PA student, finishing up didactic year right now. Are you stressed and have questions about CASPA, shadowing, volunteering, patient care hours, letter of rec, and your personal statement?? I am willing to help during this stressful time! 
      I received interview invites from 8 schools and attended 5 interviews. Out of those 5 I was accepted to 4 PA schools and ultimately wound up at my top choice program.
      Preparing and applying to PA school is the most stressful part! Let me take some of the stress away for you!
      My rates are $15 for a personal statement review, $20 for a 30min zoom call to go over your application, $30 for a 60min zoom call to go over your application. If you want help with something not listed please email me and we will figure something out.
      Email: kaylapahelp@yahoo.com
    • By FromMic2Meds
      Hey everyone, I am putting together my application for the upcoming cycle. I am at the part where I am inputting my transcript and can't figure out how to classify some courses taken as part of my Health Sciences major which kind of 'umbrellas' subjects under health care.
      The course in question is: Marketing in Healthcare. 
      My dilemma is classifying this under either:
      Health Science Marketing Health Science Administration Please help 🙃
    • By neverknowsbest
      Hello, this is my first time posting on this website and am hoping to get some help. I just made a profile on the CASPA website recently. When I went to look for these two programs I am interested in I could not find them. Do programs not show up until certain times during the year? Thank you in advance. 
    • By SamanthaJudy
      When should someone create a CASPA application? It’ll be a couple years before I start applying as I’m still trying to get my pre-requisites under my belt. 
      I thought it’d be a good idea to start one now and add as I go along? Any thoughts? 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More