Human Anatomy & Physiology GPA concerns

I have some concern about my A&P GPA meeting the prerequisite requirement for PA school. As most of you know many PA schools have a minimum GPA requirement of a "B-" or 3.0. In my first term of A&P lab I received a C+, which doesn't meet the minimum requirement. But my overall A&P GPA (3 quarters of lecture and laboratory) does meet the minimum GPA requirement. What will PA schools look at, my individual letter grade or my overall A&P GPA? 

I can only speak about my A&P courses and they were 4 credits with a lab but the lab was not an individual grade.  The lab grade was roughly 20% of our overall grade.  So on my transcripts it shows just A&P/4 credits/"Grade received".   You might try reaching out to programs and asking them about this question specifically.  Good Luck

I'm a bit confused by your wording but schools take into account your cumulative GPA and your science GPA often with the requirements of a minimum letter grade for their prerequisite courses. They don't look at GPA for a specific class.

Depending on the school you attended and how they grade their lectures and lab, you could have a varying number of letter grades. For example, at my undergrad we operated on a semester system and lab grades were included in the lecture so even if I took Anatomy lecture with Anatomy lab, they were listed as one course so I received one grade. However, I took some prerequisites at a different school which graded them separately. In this case, I had one grade for lecture and one grade for lab and these were listed separately on my transcript.

If the lecture and lab are listed separately, you will have to list them as separate classes in CASPA, in which case you will need to meet the minimum requirements of the schools you're applying to in each of them. However, each school has different requirements so I would take a look at the schools you seriously want to apply to and check their website for the minimum grades of their prerequisites. Some schools want a C minimum while others want a B. It varies so it's up to you to know which schools you qualify for if you're not planning on retaking the class. 

Archived