Please support PA Bill SB 5411.

I got this email from WAPA today:

SB 5411:

WAPA's bill, SB 5411 is going to a public hearing on Friday, February 8th at 8:00 am. If you were not able to attend our Lobby Day yesterday, could you please contact your representative/senator in your district to support this bill?

A simple email with some basic information will work. I.e. “My name is Lyn Storm and I am a physician assistant and a constituent in your district. Please support our bill, SB 5411 that will be going to a public hearing on Friday, February 8th. Thank you.” 

To find your district, enter your address here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

Then, email your legislator from this list (in alpha order) : https://app.leg.wa.gov/Rosters/Members

If you're unfamiliar with the bill, you can read it on WAPA.com. But here's an excerpt from the fact sheet on what it's about:

• Modernize PA practice laws to improve access to quality care.

• Reduce delays by eliminating Medical Commission review before PAs can get to work.

• Assure medical standard of care by preserving Medical Commission regulation of PAs.

• Allow multiple physicians on PA practice agreement which is kept by employer.

• Eliminate physician delegation and supervision requirements, allowing PAs to work under their own licenses and accept liability for their own care (they all currently have medmal insurance).

• Eliminate duplicate regulatory structures for PAs working with MDs and DOs.

• Alleviate burden of remote site and ratio restrictions.

Please contact your representatives now and spread the word to other PAs you know.

'Tis are exciting times, friends! Let's do this!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I support this as a WA PA, but unfortunately live in OR. This would be huge if it passed. One of the 2 places in WA that I work requires all PAs to have a back up physician on call whenever we work. I have never called this individual. For the most part I would only ever call if there were an MCI or massive volume issue in the ED, essentially as a surge plan. I believe the hospital is paying them the same hourly rate I get just to be on call.....

8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

I support this as a WA PA, but unfortunately live in OR. This would be huge if it passed. One of the 2 places in WA that I work requires all PAs to have a back up physician on call whenever we work. I have never called this individual. For the most part I would only ever call if there were an MCI or massive volume issue in the ED, essentially as a surge plan. I believe the hospital is paying them the same hourly rate I get just to be on call.....

I'm a WA PA living in Idaho. I sent emails to the legislators for the district I work in anyway...I figured it can't hurt. 

• Like 2

I'm really hoping this does pass. Since a year ago where I work, we only hire NPs. Also, a hospital system an hour away hasn't hired PAs for years and the other which I applied to for per diem work actually interviewed me then later told me "leadership has decided to put a hold on hiring PAs at this time." These are in rural communities too!

We really need to come together.

Edited by MSPAC
  • Like 1

start watching at 1:12. Mostly supportive testimony aside from a CRNA worrying this would allow us to practice anesthesia and a NP turned physician who mis-characterized our training as 1200 hours of clinicals.

Anyone know when this gets voted on?

• Administrator

I, too, reviewed the testimony via TVW.  The NP->EM Doc was really pretty strident in her opposition, but she seemed to be slamming NPs just about as hard.  The hours cited for PAs were low, the hours cited for medical students were ridiculously high, and the hours cited for NPs were also higher than minimums, as I understand it.

The one thing I think was missing was... me.  We had no practicing primary care PA present.  I'm sure Lyle Larson is a great guy, but he came across as very obsequious, which I would expect from a guy who's done academic medicine as a PA for 30+ years.  The schooling and profession has changed since then.

I am quite disappointed that WSMA took a neutral position on the bill when the Medical commission supported it.  I won't be renewing my membership, for that and other reasons.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I am quite disappointed that WSMA took a neutral position on the bill when the Medical commission supported it.  I won't be renewing my membership, for that and other reasons.

Apparently, it was a big deal that they agreed not to oppose....have never been a member.

This just in from WAPA's recent email. Is there a place where things like this could be distributed to a wider audience, perhaps Huddle? If only the NCCPA worked with state organizations to reach out to PAs in those respective states...  SMH.

Dear Colleagues,

WAPA needs your help.

Our bill, SB 5411 has not made it to a vote in the Senate Health Committee as of Wednesday, February 20th. This leaves us only 1 day to get Senate Bill 5411 voted out of committee and on to the next phase.  If you could call Senator Cleveland's office today or Thursday 2/21 morning and leave a brief message, it would help our PA practice reform bill. 

Please call and state: “Please bring SB 5411 up for a vote. I am calling to support PA practice reform.” This will help us get our bill up for a vote. 

Also, if you know anyone that lives in the 49th district in Vancouver, WA please have them reach out as well.  Sen. Cleveland will  listen to and respond to constituents within her district more favorably. 

Senator Annette Cleveland is Chair of the Senate Health and Long Term Care Committee: 360-786-7696

If you have already called Sen. Cleveland's office, thank you. For more information on SB 5411, please visit our website's homepage: www.wapa.com

Edited by MSPAC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the bill didn't make the cut. I'm very disappointed but I am hopeful we will do better next session. Here's the last message from WAPA if you're not a member.

My fellow PAs,

I am sad to share the news that our PA reform bill (SB 5411) did not pass out of the Senate Health committee on Friday, February 22nd .  This was the deadline for bills to get a vote in the policy committee.

What does this mean?  It means our bill will not pass this year.  It will keep its number and be re-introduced next year, with the same sponsors. It's rare for any bill to pass the first year it's introduced.  Typically, only 1 out of 5 bills introduced makes it through the process each year. I have no regrets.  We did absolutely everything we could have to make this effort a success. Our lobbyist, Kate White Tudor, JD did a fantastic job lobbying for us. 

I am proud of what we accomplished so far in our work to reform PA practice:

*   We worked collaboratively with WSMA and the Medical Commission to develop our proposal
  *   We earned the support of nine bill sponsors
  *   We gathered PAs from across the state in Olympia to lobby their legislators
       (our first WAPA lobby day)
  *   We presented compelling testimony, including three physicians who testified in support of PA reforms
  *   We negotiated aggressively to keep the bill alive as long as possible

What's next? We will develop a plan to educate more allies, reach out to legislators, and address stakeholder concerns to position the bill for success in 2020. You can view bill SB 5411 and more information on our efforts on our website homepage: www.WAPA.com 

Thank you for your trust in me as President to work on these important reforms. If you want to get more involved in helping to pass this bill next year, please continue to be a member of WAPA. Thank you for being a member. There is strength in numbers and we need your support now, more than ever.

Your WAPA board of directors and Legislative Health Policy committee is available by email. You can reach us at: wapa@wapa.com. In the coming months, we will contact you to reach out to your legislators. We need to keep the momentum going!

Thank you,

Lyn Storm PA-C
President