California seriously considering giving Nurse Practitioners full autonomy....

So they're saying no one can know what the content of the material are until they are published? Maybe they aren't aware the report has been published already and that we've read it...

Seems like they're dodging the question.

Exactly. Lol. I actually emailed them the report!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We need PAs who are willing to become radical and force state legislature's to include PAs in every single piece of legislation that allows NP independent practice.  

I see we are still afraid of the medical societies and hospital associations and bow down to some of their demands.

Pushing the envelope is necessary and while the state that pushes the envelope might initially get stamped down (yes, I meant the pun). somebody has to do it.  Wisconsin in on the verge of being that state...…..

15 hours ago, Paula said:

We need PAs who are willing to become radical and force state legislature's to include PAs in every single piece of legislation that allows NP independent practice.  

I see we are still afraid of the medical societies and hospital associations and bow down to some of their demands.

Pushing the envelope is necessary and while the state that pushes the envelope might initially get stamped down (yes, I meant the pun). somebody has to do it.  Wisconsin in on the verge of being that state...…..

Preach!

I had this conversation with TAPA leadership this weekend. There is a sense  they have to do OTP in small bites because the physicians will oppose anything big. I think the physicians will oppose anything big or small and we are past due taking a big swing. What's the worst they can do? They kick us in the teeth every chance they get. They have stated with equivocation they oppose any expansion of any non-physician group.

Swing for the fence after you align with every non-physician group that has been marginalized by organized medicine. Oh yea.... include major hospital groups and employers who will save 10's of millions of dollars every year with the elimination of mandated supervision. Now you have your own 800 pound gorilla to go lobbying with.

• Upvote 1

CAPA is introducing OTP legislation this month. I feel similarly about them missing an opportunity with that commission report as well, but I hope everyone is a member or becomes a member ASAP so they have the resources and numbers to help with the OTP bill. 

Paying for lobbyists and the bill drafters and spending time on the ground talking to legislators is expensive. They will need everything they can get. 

On on another note, I got into a debate on SDN about OTP. It’s funny, the physicians get livid about NPs pushing for independent practice and make a huge deal about how full independent practice is dangerous and they should remain involved with physicians for safe patient care. PAs try to find a middle ground and I feel like they are even angrier about OTP vs. Full practice authority for the NPs. A lot of them said it’s basically a ruse to full independent practice. I believe they are never going to be happy with our attempts to move our profession forward. Sad.

Edited by lemurcatta
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming in late to the conversation.  I am earlier in my career.  I would consider going to nursing school if I could challenge the NP boards and have independent practice.  

I used to be a member of CAPA but don't live in CA anymore.  I have no idea who is at the helm and who are the people making the decisions on which direction to go.  I am of the opinion that they should swing for the stars though.....   I feel the Government does that.  GOV says we are going to raise taxes 100%, the people get mad and complain.  The GOV says "OK our bad"  we will only raise 50% taxes.  We the people cheer as if it is a victory and the GOV still got 50% raise in taxes.     If we swing for the stars the AMA/CA MD's can complain and get some of it knocked down.  They feel like they won but we still make a pretty big impact for our career field.

Maybe CAPA has a good plan and truly thinks slow and steady will win the race, maybe they think they are swinging for the stars.  I just wonder how long is this plan... 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 30 yrs?   Like I said I don't know the people or keep up with CAPA anymore.  

Trust me... they will have autonomy in all 50 states. There is a group of leaders who have seen this coming for a long time and the rest are finally waking up. We are late getting started but moving at least.

I asked a state society leader what they were going to do if NPs got independence and the answer was "I don't know." I think we are way past taking big swings. The physicians are going to oppose anything so why not go big?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hoping for the best for you guys. Illinois, one of the strictest states for NPs, recently passed legislation that will allow for independent practice after collaborating with a physician for 4000 hours and 250 hours of CEU (we'll still have to have collaboration for certain drugs like BZDs, etc.). I feel like that'd be reasonable for you guys; unfortunately, many physicians are about self-preservation and not what's best for the patients. Rootin for ya'll. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 2234leej said:

Hoping for the best for you guys. Illinois, one of the strictest states for NPs, recently passed legislation that will allow for independent practice after collaborating with a physician for 4000 hours and 250 hours of CEU (we'll still have to have collaboration for certain drugs like BZDs, etc.). I feel like that'd be reasonable for you guys; unfortunately, many physicians are about self-preservation and not what's best for the patients. Rootin for ya'll. 

Holy cow......

And so it continues...

On 2/22/2019 at 10:45 AM, Cideous said:

My original point stands in posting this thread.  As California goes, so goes the nation.  True then, true now.  Keep an eye on NP's out there.  What they win there, will eventually spread.

Absolutely. Once California falls, all other states will follow. 

We PA's might be supervised under NP's soon in all states lol. AAPA better do something FAST

11 hours ago, 2234leej said:

independent rights   for NP's  in all 50 states are taking place right before our eyes. What are we PA's doing? Are we going to join them get our OTP to pass?    We PA's are fu**ed unless we do something

Edited by ArmyVetDude

California SB697 look on legiscan 2019

Submitted 2/22/2019

Section e.            “Collaboration” means  a process in which a physician assistant and one or more physicians, and surgeon or other qualified health care provider jointly contribute to the health care or medical treatment of a patient 

In reading, it appears, if NP are independent, PA is required to work in a group so technically, NP can be supervisor or boss( I know it doesn’t say supervisor, but NP independent clinic and PA must work in a team at a clinic with signed statement that a qualified provider is leading the team) ..... OTP requires team practice so still must have a team which looks like NP as a qualified independent provider....... 

Can someone better at understanding the legalities please tell me I am wrong!!! 

The main thrust of OTP is to eliminate mandatory supervision. That helps level the playing field with the bean counters because they don't have to pay someone to supervise. The subtle aspects of what collaboration means will be determined at the practice level.

IMHO if someone waived their magic wand and made us all independent today almost nothing would change in our day to day work lives because we are still credentialed and answer to all kinds of rules and committees and guidelines. 

OTP is about keeping us viable in the marketplace.

• Like 2

The number of PA schools increases every year, which means more and more PA's are going to be pumped into the work force. Even if there is a delay in gaining the same autonomy as an NP is it truly realistic to think that the PA profession would be without ground to stand on in regard to OTP? I'm not an expert in any of this, just simply asking...

14 minutes ago, johncfl said:

The number of PA schools increases every year, which means more and more PA's are going to be pumped into the work force. Even if there is a delay in gaining the same autonomy as an NP is it truly realistic to think that the PA profession would be without ground to stand on in regard to OTP? I'm not an expert in any of this, just simply asking...

Honestly, this is the strategy that NPs have in gaining independence.  Overwhelm the system.  Pump out as many NPs as we can.  Quality be damned.  

1 hour ago, johncfl said:

Even if there is a delay in gaining the same autonomy as an NP is it truly realistic to think that the PA profession would be without ground to stand on in regard to OTP?

I'm not sure I understand the question you are asking. The issue facing us is a money question. The world is run by administrators. The physicians all sold their souls and became employees and gave up control of healthcare.

If a bean counter can hire a NP and not have to pay someone to supervise them but has to pay a physician to supervise us guess who gets the job? Its costs 12-15k annually to supervise one of us. Multiply that x hundreds and hundreds of PAs and NP in a large system and you can see where that would go.

19 hours ago, sas5814 said:

The main thrust of OTP is to eliminate mandatory supervision. That helps level the playing field with the bean counters because they don't have to pay someone to supervise. The subtle aspects of what collaboration means will be determined at the practice level.

IMHO if someone waived their magic wand and made us all independent today almost nothing would change in our day to day work lives because we are still credentialed and answer to all kinds of rules and committees and guidelines. 

OTP is about keeping us viable in the marketplace.

My question is, based on the California SB statting Physician, surgeon or qualified health care provider.. and OTP and determination at practice level, if NP has independent practice, they could technically be the practice to determine what we are “allowed” to do.....I could be misunderstanding, I am not familiar with all legalease... someone correct me..

41 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think they would meet the criteria but its a good question. Stranger things have been attempted by the nurse lobby.

agree. in every state the legislations says "physician (MD/DO)" with a few states allowing podiatrists to supervise a PA only for podiatry.

39 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think they would meet the criteria but its a good question. Stranger things have been attempted by the nurse lobby.

I am not in California, but someone said earlier that as California goes, so goes other states or Country. What else would other qualified health provider mean? It says physician, and other qualified..what else is there?   I would hope someone in California would verify and make more specific wording and strike other if  it could be NP.. 

7 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

I am not in California, but someone said earlier that as California goes, so goes other states or Country. What else would other qualified health provider mean? It says physician, and other qualified..what else is there?   I would hope someone in California would verify and make more specific wording and strike other if  it could be NP.. 

NP's, PT's, podiatrists and chiropractors, and acupuncturists. I guess we are ASSISTANTS so we have the privilege to ASSIST them.......  we really need a name change and get that damn assistant out of our name. Just the other day some nurse from spain asked a PA to help clean up the patient. she was like, "you can assist physician and his office staff by cleaning after him so the clinic could run more efficiently." FU*K that. We don't deserve to be treated like this

Edited by ArmyVetDude

16 hours ago, ArmyVetDude said:

NP's, PT's, podiatrists and chiropractors, and acupuncturists. I guess we are ASSISTANTS so we have the privilege to ASSIST them.......  we really need a name change and get that damn assistant out of our name. Just the other day some nurse from spain asked a PA to help clean up the patient. she was like, "you can assist physician and his office staff by cleaning after him so the clinic could run more efficiently." FU*K that. We don't deserve to be treated like this

lol welcome to the ramifications of us not changing our name when we had the chance....