GRE prep

Hi Ive been researching what test is best out there so far I have used magoosh which hasn't really helped me much I keep scoring below the 300 margin and keep getting at 144 on the Quant section 145 on Verbal section. Ive tried prepping with magoosh only which hasn't helped much due to them ranking my quant score in the 153 on the practice test, can anyone recommend anything else I need to try. So close to just giving up overall  the GRE is a ridiculous test that isn't testing over the many science courses that we need for PA school!

I used the Kaplan review book, along with the 500 flashcards (barely did like 100 words though so wouldn't 100% recommend it!). I also got the Manhattan 5 pound GRE book. Before studying, I was scoring 300. After about a month of studying, I was able to score 316 with those resources!

I realized my problem was not being fast enough with the math (hellooooo algebra was how many years ago?) so practice definitely helped!

I personally don't think getting a high GRE score is super important, especially if you already have well rounded application. Just try to aim for 300! 🙂 

4 minutes ago, hoorayPA said:

I used the Kaplan review book, along with the 500 flashcards (barely did like 100 words though so wouldn't 100% recommend it!). I also got the Manhattan 5 pound GRE book. Before studying, I was scoring 300. After about a month of studying, I was able to score 316 with those resources!

I realized my problem was not being fast enough with the math (hellooooo algebra was how many years ago?) so practice definitely helped!

I personally don't think getting a high GRE score is super important, especially if you already have well rounded application. Just try to aim for 300! 🙂 

Thanks!! I will def look into the kaplan review book, I have the manhattan 5 pound which I will start studying more seriously with also, and thank you!! Hoping this will help with my next test!

I completed the ETS GRE book (it's not that long) and parts of the Manhattan 5 Lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems (focus on this book, it is so helpful). ETS also offers two free practice exams online, which is a great way to familiarize yourself with the format of the exam. The ETS GRE book has a "math review" section of notes that is a bit excessive and not on the actual GRE, so don't worry too much about that. I recommend 1.5 to 2 months of studying. I focused on the quantitative section because that section is easier to improve on than verbal (in my opinion). I did not focus on memorizing words for verbal because there were just too many. I searched the 30 most common words and tried memorizing those. When it comes to verbal, try to do so well in the other questions of verbal that you won't have to worry about memorizing over 100 words. I studied for about a month ~3 hours a day and received a 157Q, 150V, and 4.0W

Are you watching the videos on magoosh? Have you been doing the practice problems?

If you repeatedly get some types of questions wrong, it's essential to watch the videos and try to understand why you're getting them wrong. In addition, utilize all of the time optimization methods that magoosh teaches as opposed to a way you might be used to doing it.

Magoosh was my primary resource, also used the ETS book and their practice tests which were really useful for getting used to the format and feel. 153q/153v/4.0w

Best advice to improve the verbal score is read hella books! Pick out quality literature with words you don't know and look them up when you come across them! This will teach you the meaning of words in context, it sticks so much better than only using flashcard drills (although you do need flashcards/vocab lists). Alternatively, listen to audiobooks/NPR and look up words you hear that you don't know. This will also help you become a more informed person and will help you during PA school interviews. My method does require a good chunk of time before you actually take the GRE though.

For math; practice endless problems. Do one problem at a time and fully understand how to solve every problem you get wrong. For really complicated looking questions, there is often more info than you need and the answer is more straightforward than you would suspect. Read carefully, understand what is being asked.

Good luck!

I used Magoosh; 160 Q 165 V 4.5 W

Archived