ASA for Primary CVD Prevention is RIP...

https://www.mdedge.com/cardiology/article/193549/preventive-care/aspirin-primary-cardiovascular-prevention-rip?utm_source=News%5FPower%5FeNL%5F020319%5FF&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Trending%3A%20Revamped%20A%20fib%20guidelines%20%7C%20Suicide%20attempt%20reduction%20%7C%20Physician%20moms

I already stopped advising pts to take a "baby aspirin" for Primary prevention a few years ago but seems like the verdict is in.

Looks like we were wrong about its preventative properties for GI adenocarcinoma as well. Looks like ASA use INCREASED cancer risk...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

my one question   in the subset of DM - is it still recommended??  what about long term poorly controlled DM??  

I don't think so. It would still be Primary prevention despite comorbidities. I only continue ASA for pts with h/o MI or CVA etc. But yes we will have to see what ADA recs are.  

Edit: But now you got me thinking about it because DM is considered a Risk Factor equal to prior MI... Kind of a gray area though....the increased risk of Cancer death with ASA though should be considered... We'll see what other societies say.

My CP says he still chooses to keep pts with DM over 50 and with other comorbidities on baby ASA but he clarifies this is a personal practice decision for him...

Ok another edit: I found this in a Google search from NEJM that states that DM is no longer considered equal risk factor to previous MI unless the diabetic had 5 other risk factors...

https://knowledgeplus.nejm.org/blog/patients-type-2-diabetes-take-aspirin-prevent-stroke-coronary-events/

This is why I am hating Primary Care lol. Cant we just get a consensus that's consistent across all disciplines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - cleared it all up!! HeeHeeHee

yeah the risk of DM seems to be with longevity and poor control

newl;y dx II whom have good BS control and no other metabolic issues - nope to ASA

older or poorly controlled one's   =--  that gets me 

then their is the type 1's......  yup manage some of them and what are people doing with them?? 

Archived