Is PA School Even an Option For Me?

I went to an osteopathic school and had to remediate the year. While on probation, I failed a course; however, the school allowed me to withdraw since I showed noticeable improvement.

In the process of applying to osteopathic schools, I heavily utilized the grade replacement policy and took my prereqs multiple times. 

I realized shortly after getting into medical school that it’s not for me. I enjoy clinical medicine, but I’d really like a balance with my work and life. As of right now, I’ve hit the worst phase of my life and I don’t know how to proceed.

Unfortunately, based on what you've said here, not likely.

PA schools don't do grade replacement (they average all attempts).  You also don't have a great record for being able to handle graduate level course work.  You would be seen as risky to any PA program.

That PAs have a better work/life balance is an overused generalization and myth.

From what I have heard from several individuals (couple MDs and a PT who do the same lectures) who teach MDs and PAs is that the PAs have to learn identical material in less time.  There is material we do not cover that the medical students do, that much is clear, but that is what the extra time (another year with the additional lectures what PAs might not see) is for in medical school.  Currently taking 26 credits worth this semester in PA school, probably not all the same, but you can compare.  Remediation is just as likely in PA school and it is just as busy.  I would be careful if you were thinking about this as a tier lower regarding academia and time commitment.  I hope you find your way out of the woods and I hope things work out.

• 1 month later...

I think you have to decide whether medicine is right for you given your academic history of probation and retaking multiple pre-reqs for grade replacement. PA school tends to be stricter with grades and most require a minimum GPA of 3.0 to advance in the program. 

In terms of work life balance, a lot of that will be specialty dependent but you have to put in the work before you get to that point. I recommend keeping an open mind and looking at other career paths if work life balance is what you seek.

Archived