How to calculate HCE/PCE?

Hello all, I have worked full-time and PRN for the last three years gathering PCE. However, how do you calculate those hours when you do not have a set schedule?

I have gone as far as to try to add up all the hours I have on each paystub (I view them online) but it is extremely tedious. I have worked in two acute hospitals, two SNFs, and an inpatient rehab facility. The hospitals, one SNF, and the inpatient rehab facility are all for the same company (when you are PRN you float to different pavilions).

I have noticed that CASPA will ask you your job type, which would be per diem for me, but still asks how many hours a week. If your weekly hours vary, is your best bet to just count up your total hours and make sure whatever you fill in does not exceed that amount?

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

You just need to find an average of how many hours a week you have worked. It's okay that it's varied. They will understand that since you've listed the position as per diem.

Can you just look at your year to date hours on the last paystub from each year you've been employed? Get a total, divide by the number of weeks you've worked to get an average. If that won't work, use your W2 maybe? Your wages should give you a good idea of how many hours you worked if it's all from the same company.

If neither of those work, do the tedious calculations for a few months, find your average hours worked per week during that time, and extrapolate that data across three years.

Archived