Who is in/finished LMU DMS?

There is only one physician who works in my shop, and he is the director. No idea what he makes. Looking at the ACEP data I make 40% what the average EM physician makes in my state. I believe I make over 50% what FM typically gets for covering the ED. 

back to the topic, I learned that LMU requires that you be available every Sunday night from 6-8 for lecture. Apparently some do this from work. Not sure how well this would work out for me in solo coverage.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

at my primary job (solo coverage) I make $15/hr less than the fp docs and $65/hr less than the em docs.

8 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

There is only one physician who works in my shop, and he is the director. No idea what he makes. Looking at the ACEP data I make 40% what the average EM physician makes in my state. I believe I make over 50% what FM typically gets for covering the ED. 

back to the topic, I learned that LMU requires that you be available every Sunday night from 6-8 for lecture. Apparently some do this from work. Not sure how well this would work out for me in solo coverage.

truly sad

higher skill set

better care

and paid 40-50% of an FM...... something is wrong....

12 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Makes me feel good - after 6 years I've made it to 44.7% of the hourly rate of the docs at my shop.

That is great! Do you have EM CAQ? , I’d like to see at least 50% of TOTAL compensation. Base salary is only one aspect. Benefits may not be different in your hospital, but often the extra CME$$!/days, vacation, retirement, insurance, loan repayments  and bonus structure tend to  be quite a bit different for Docs. 

I am in PCP

docs get about 53% of collections

PA get about 38%

I have flaty refused such offers 

Have countered with an hourly that more closely mirrors the 45-50% of collections (Still cheaper then the doc's 53%)

I just walk away if they can not do it - enough is enough....

Now wanting to have Nebrasks open up there Bridge DMSc degree.... hoping for $20k and one year part time....

No, I don't have the EM CAQ.  At this point in my career, I've worked for 2 of the major national companies: TeamHealth and Envision, and 2 small groups (which by the way treat me way better).  None of them give any change in responsibility, compensation, or benefits for having the CAQ.  I know some members of the forum have experienced differently, but 2 years ago I made the rounds of the recruiters at SEMPA and asked them how much they valued having the CAQ and the universal response was "what's the CAQ?"

So, I've focused my time on things that give me new or improved skills like ultrasound training.

As for differences in benefits for PA/NP vs doc, it seems to be all over the map.  My current FT employer, a smaller co that focuses on staffing critical access hospitals, seems to have pretty much the same benefit structure for everyone.

1 hour ago, ventana said:

I am in PCP

docs get about 53% of collections

PA get about 38%

I have flaty refused such offers 

Have countered with an hourly that more closely mirrors the 45-50% of collections (Still cheaper then the doc's 53%)

I just walk away if they can not do it - enough is enough....

Now wanting to have Nebrasks open up there Bridge DMSc degree.... hoping for $20k and one year part time....

Is a UNMC DMSc degree in the works? Or are you just hopeful they may in the future? I also can’t fathom why UNMC doesn’t have a post-grad program for PAs yet

20 hours ago, PACali said:

I think programs like USC (32 months) should automatically transition to a doctorate degree. Going through all that, with only a master is a joke.

ARC-PA has recently denied approval at a couple of universities working to start entry-level doctorate PA programs, stating that the accreditation of doctorate degrees is beyond the scope of their authority.

Until the issue is somehow changed through ARC-PA, the only option seems to be the post-masters DMSc degrees.

2 hours ago, ProSpectre said:

ARC-PA has recently denied approval at a couple of universities working to start entry-level doctorate PA programs, stating that the accreditation of doctorate degrees is beyond the scope of their authority.

Until the issue is somehow changed through ARC-PA, the only option seems to be the post-masters DMSc degrees.

well that is just BULL!!

Nothing like ARC-PA actually being obstructionist!!

Ok who is the board, and how do we elect a different one?? (this happened with AAPA so it is possible.) 

What needs to occur is the certification of ARC-PA get changed by  https://www.chea.org/ to allow them to do the doctorate level.... anyone up for this??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Assistants can't be Doctors of anything.

(Beats the dead horse, stops...looks around....starts beating it again...)

Haha!! Absolutely!! The ARC-PA, can’t give accreditation for expanding to Doctorate because. It is only allowed to grant up to Masters per CHEA., so yes, have to start there or at least in conjunction with ARC-PA. Now, question would be if, given freedom to allow Doctorate, would ARC-PA actually allow that? There are 24 members. Those members basically vote in new or to continue current appointments. The nominees, or only ones that can be voted on are supplied by “collaborating” organizations. The collaborating organizations include approximately five medical organizations and AAPA.  Doubtful those medical organizations are going to want a member that supports a doctorate medical provider to hat is not a physician. Need a title that removes physician and assistant. Then become own regulators. Side note, of the 24 ARC-PA members, 11 were PA’s. 8 MD and remaining lot of MPH. There was actually an SLP!!?  What the heck!! Out of curiosity I looked up SLP accreditation, it is CCA.. They actually do accreditation for both sLP and audiology programs. Their members are ALL either slP or Aud, with one other general profession, yet there is an SLP on Accrediting committee for ARC-PA! Just so much wrong with PA and all the “collaborating”!! No wonder can’t get anything done!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ventana said:

well that is just BULL!!

Nothing like ARC-PA actually being obstructionist!!

Ok who is the board, and how do we elect a different one?? (this happened with AAPA so it is possible.) 

What needs to occur is the certification of ARC-PA get changed by  https://www.chea.org/ to allow them to do the doctorate level.... anyone up for this??

Why just request CHEA to allow Doctorate? Should request the ARC-PA be changed to 95% of members are PA’s (or hopefully soon to be something like Medical Care Practitioner). Bet if you looked on other credentialing committees they are made up of those professionals.. ARC-PA  doesn’t appear to even have majorly PA’s! Ridiculous!

6 hours ago, pennylv said:

Just curious how the DMSc degree will advance a PAs career? Pardon my ignorance but haven’t read too much about the degree and how it might be useful. 

It’s usefulness depends on what path you want your career to take and negotiating skills. It’s great for those wanting to go into admin (where they love degrees), academics (where you need a doctorate for tenure and certain positions), and it’s a more concrete way to demonstrate clinical acumen for admin who don’t understand competency based education. Further, if it becomes common enough, legislators will likely recognize it and be more willing to pass scope improving bills. As far as what you get out of it educationally, there are more clinical curriculums for those wanting higher level education there, educational pathways for those wanting to be manage PA programs and enhance instruction, and administrative pathways for those looking for more managerial and process improvement education.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 4:52 AM, pennylv said:

Just curious how the DMSc degree will advance a PAs career? Pardon my ignorance but haven’t read too much about the degree and how it might be useful. 

politics

administrative jobs

not having to jump to hoops to keep on doc happy (have been on the loosing end of this before)

professional independence

additional knowledge and respect (love it when the new dPT introduced themselves as Doctor and questioned my knowledge cause i am not a doctor!)

self autonomy and professional autonomy

political advancement  (we not not anyone's assistant) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I made my final student loan payment a few weeks ago(woohoo!) and am starting to revisit the idea of a doctorate now that I'll have the extra funds.  I'm curious whether folks that are in or have finished LMU's program felt that it really added something to their practice?  I'm a hospitalist with 6 years of experience including a fellowship and for whatever it's worth, the CAQ.  Did these classes bring a new depth of knowledge to others with similar experience? 

I love the clinical side of medicine and am trying to decide if I will be happier with something like this vs. something like Lynchburg's program.  It seems that Lynchburg and some other programs would better prepare one for implementing policy/quality measures within a hospital and to assume leadership roles, which is also appealing.  Decisions, decisions...

• 1 year later...