Who is in/finished LMU DMS?

• 5 months later...
Guest Paula

Doctorate of Medical Science in Physician Assistant Studies.   I hate that designation.  What is physician assistant studies anyway?  

We need a new DMS title that does not include physician assistant in its degree. 

• 4 months later...

When I was doing my MPAS bridge with U of Nebraska to update my degree (back in the old days we were all BS's), my supervising doc asked me what I was doing and I explained that I needed to update to a masters to stay relevant in the marketplace.  He looked straight at me and said, "What's next a Doctorate of Physician Assisting...?" "Hahahahahaha" and walked off.

26 years in the field and I never hated our name as much as I did at that moment of mockery.  And what makes it even more painful is that although he was a dick about it...on some level, he was right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Cideous said:

When I was doing my MPAS bridge with U of Nebraska to update my degree (back in the old days we were all BS's), my supervising doc asked me what I was doing and I explained that I needed to update to a masters to stay relevant in the marketplace.  He looked straight at me and said, "What's next a Doctorate of Physician Assisting...?" "Hahahahahaha" and walked off.

26 years in the field and I never hated our name as much as I did at that moment of mockery.  And what makes it even more painful is that although he was a dick about it...on some level, he was right.

I had a similar experience. an older em doc (who only did an internship to get licensed and never completed any residency) said " oh, will that move PAs from 1/4 of a doc to 1/2 a doc?", laughed and walked off....

16 minutes ago, PACali said:

I think programs like USC (32 months) should automatically transition to a doctorate degree. Going through all that, with only a master is a joke.

agree. I think that is where we are headed. after that I think postgrad programs will become the norm. so 4 yrs BS, 3 yrs PA, 1 yr postgrad program for 8 vs min 11 for md/do

• Upvote 1