Current PA looking at working as AF PA

I am currently a Dermatology PA but I am looking into joining the AF.  I like the loan repayment piece but I also really enjoyed my rotations on a military base.  I am curious as to how specializing works though.  Since I am already dermatology trained and all of my experience is in dermatology would I be placed at a dermatology clinic or would I be placed where ever and receive appropriate training?  I really like dermatology and would like to stay in dermatology if possible.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I have requested information from the AF and am waiting on a recruiter to contact me, but I know they like to tell you what you want to hear.

• 1 month later...

I am currently working as a Burn PA. I manage the ICU, first assist in the OR, and have more responsibilities than I care to mention (fun, but draining). I am looking to get my debit paid off and decided to look at the AF. I have spoken to a recruiter and I have a little info. I have  had 2 conversations of the phone a few email exchanges with scattered information. First, I was told most people sign a 3 year contract with bonuses for different amounts of years, and that  4-6 years contracts came with loan repayment was an option depending on the amount of loans/ undergraduate debit vs graduate debit. During second phone conversation, I was told that no loan repayment was offered the last cycle only bonuses for 3 and 4 year contracts and it would most likely be the same for the 2019 cycle. Also, according to the recruiter  you will need to apply, pass a medical eval, have a phone interview, and be selected from applicants. You have the option to tour a Air Force Base and Shadow a AF PA. I am still starting the process to apply and will continue to try and find out more information.

I directly asked the recruiter if my years of experience (3+ years in critical care, surgery,  etc.) would have any effect on job placement, and was told "No, you will be placed at a base and your job will depend on what is needed. You will advance based on performance and connections made in the AF". So glad I took a very demanding job straight out of school in hopes that it would have a big impact on future jobs, but what do you do?

I am still very interested in joining the AF and I am in the process of applying. If anyone else has information about being a PA in the military or wants to share your experience , please do. 

Archived