Ophtho PAs?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I checked the specialties section and did a brief search... 

Anyone here an Ophthalmology PA? I'm really liking it in didactic and noticed the generous salary in the AAPA 2018 report (albeit a n of 7) so just trying to gauge what exactly Ophtho PAs do, how they like their work etc. 

Thanks,

Boli

• 4 weeks later...

I have worked as the first, and to my knowledge, only PA working in ophthalmology in Missouri for the past 2 years. I think PAs are a good fit, but most will require a lot of extra training. In my opinion, it works best in a group practice opposed to a solo doc. I would be happy to answer any questions.

sjkenslow@aol.com

Scott

I have come upon less than a handful of Opthamological PAs in my entire career. I believe that Paul Lombardo worked for a year in Opthamology before going into academia. As has been brought up, only so many people can crowd around and eyeball. As a first assistant all you can really do is retract and cut suture. There may be courses but I do not know if there is certification in refraction. You could do eye emergencies but you would always be working closely with a Doc if the injury was sufficient to require surgery. Maybe someone wants to be a trailblazer.

Archived