Non-military PA to overseas base?

Hello! 

I'm a pre-pa student that is looking for some options. I have no military background, and was hoping someone could have the answers to some of my questions. 

I plan on living in South Korea sometime in the future (husband is South Korean, currently in Florida) and am applying to PA school.

I just want to know if it's possible to get PA jobs at a base in South Korea as a non-military civilian? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any insight and information is helpful. Thank you! 

Edited by WMLee
Spelling.

• 4 months later...

Is your husband in the military? If yes, then there might be a small chance. I don't think there is a great need for providers at bases in South Korea. And they usually give spouses and local population priorities for work on base for host nation partnership relation. I've never been stationed there so it might be different, however it was the case in Japan where I was stationed.

I think the chances are slim as a civilian to land a job as a PA on base in South Korea. 

Anyone else have any info?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:54 PM, WMLee said:

Hello! 

I'm a pre-pa student that is looking for some options. I have no military background, and was hoping someone could have the answers to some of my questions. 

I plan on living in South Korea sometime in the future (husband is South Korean, currently in Florida) and am applying to PA school.

I just want to know if it's possible to get PA jobs at a base in South Korea as a non-military civilian? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any insight and information is helpful. Thank you! 

Old thread. Check USAjobs. I was in Korea until last summer. They had openings and would hire anyone qualified. While former military would have hiring preference there was nobody applying for these jobs. 

As long as you qualify for federal employment and are willing to go through the hoops for federal employment and there are openings, yes you could be hired. The pay for Korea was actually pretty good. Not sure if they would hire a new grad. Depends on how bad they want to fill the slot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 12:55 AM, bovineplane said:

Old thread. Check USAjobs. I was in Korea until last summer. They had openings and would hire anyone qualified. While former military would have hiring preference there was nobody applying for these jobs. 

As long as you qualify for federal employment and are willing to go through the hoops for federal employment and there are openings, yes you could be hired. The pay for Korea was actually pretty good. Not sure if they would hire a new grad. Depends on how bad they want to fill the slot. 

Thank you!!! 

I'm not planning as going as a new grad, and was thinking of options just further down the line. This puts me at ease, since I dont mind waiting for a job. I really appreciate your reply!!!!!